Apr 27, 2010, 4:12 PM EDT
Major League Baseball should bring Jose Canseco underneath their umbrella,
and have him be a key spokesperson on steroids and making good
– Matt Minkus of the Tucson Citizen without any apparent irony.
You know, the reason why Jose Canseco was able to blow the whistle on steroids like he did was because he may have done more than anyone to popularize steroids among baseball players in the 80s and 90s and thus had all the names to name. And the reason why he did it was because he was dead broke after pissing away over $50 million in career earnings and needed to make a buck.
So sure, his whistle blowing may have served an admirable purpose, but that doesn’t mean you want him to be “a spokesman on steroids and making good decisions.” Because he did a ton of the former and made hardly any of the latter.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 61
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)