Apr 27, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
Tanner Scheppers fell to the Rangers with the 44th pick in last June’s draft because of concerns about his injury status and bonus demands, but he’s healthy now and the top-10 talent is blowing away hitters at Double-A.
Scheppers struck out five batters in two perfect innings last night and has the following video game-like numbers in 10 innings overall this season: 0.90 ERA, .086 opponents’ batting average, 18/0 K/BB ratio. He’s struck out more than half the batters he’s faced.
Texas’ bullpen could certainly use some help and in addition to the insane numbers Scheppers works with a mid-90s fastball and big-breaking curveball that definitely have the potential to dominate big-league hitters. Pairing him with Neftali Feliz could be a scary late-inning combination, especially if Frank Francisco gets back on track at some point to make it a flame-throwing trio.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)