Apr 27, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
Tanner Scheppers fell to the Rangers with the 44th pick in last June’s draft because of concerns about his injury status and bonus demands, but he’s healthy now and the top-10 talent is blowing away hitters at Double-A.
Scheppers struck out five batters in two perfect innings last night and has the following video game-like numbers in 10 innings overall this season: 0.90 ERA, .086 opponents’ batting average, 18/0 K/BB ratio. He’s struck out more than half the batters he’s faced.
Texas’ bullpen could certainly use some help and in addition to the insane numbers Scheppers works with a mid-90s fastball and big-breaking curveball that definitely have the potential to dominate big-league hitters. Pairing him with Neftali Feliz could be a scary late-inning combination, especially if Frank Francisco gets back on track at some point to make it a flame-throwing trio.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)