Apr 27, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
Tanner Scheppers fell to the Rangers with the 44th pick in last June’s draft because of concerns about his injury status and bonus demands, but he’s healthy now and the top-10 talent is blowing away hitters at Double-A.
Scheppers struck out five batters in two perfect innings last night and has the following video game-like numbers in 10 innings overall this season: 0.90 ERA, .086 opponents’ batting average, 18/0 K/BB ratio. He’s struck out more than half the batters he’s faced.
Texas’ bullpen could certainly use some help and in addition to the insane numbers Scheppers works with a mid-90s fastball and big-breaking curveball that definitely have the potential to dominate big-league hitters. Pairing him with Neftali Feliz could be a scary late-inning combination, especially if Frank Francisco gets back on track at some point to make it a flame-throwing trio.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)