Apr 27, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
Tanner Scheppers fell to the Rangers with the 44th pick in last June’s draft because of concerns about his injury status and bonus demands, but he’s healthy now and the top-10 talent is blowing away hitters at Double-A.
Scheppers struck out five batters in two perfect innings last night and has the following video game-like numbers in 10 innings overall this season: 0.90 ERA, .086 opponents’ batting average, 18/0 K/BB ratio. He’s struck out more than half the batters he’s faced.
Texas’ bullpen could certainly use some help and in addition to the insane numbers Scheppers works with a mid-90s fastball and big-breaking curveball that definitely have the potential to dominate big-league hitters. Pairing him with Neftali Feliz could be a scary late-inning combination, especially if Frank Francisco gets back on track at some point to make it a flame-throwing trio.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)