Apr 27, 2010, 8:28 PM EDT
Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden began the season sharing the catching position in the major leagues. Now they’ll do it again with Triple-A Oklahoma City, according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.
It’s quite a surprising change of course, but now Max Ramirez will share catching duties with Matt Treanor for the time being. The move enables Saltalamacchia to stay down in the minor leagues for at least 10 days, unofficially extending what was already a minor league rehab assignment.
“We’ve been struggling at the catching position in the early going,”
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. “We want to give Taylor an
opportunity to go down and get right. With Jarrod, he’s felt good the
last few days. We just want to see him go and play … get consistent
playing time, consistent repetitions, play regularly; also with the
mindset not to worry if today is the day he’s coming back. Free him up
to go down and play regularly and not worry about anything.”
Saltalamacchia was placed on the disabled list on April 8 due to tightness in his upper back and left shoulder, but has been progressing well in his rehab. Teagarden, meanwhile, was in a deep funk at the plate, managing just one hit over his first 27 at-bats this season.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)