Apr 27, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
To make room on the roster for all their pitcher shuffling the Rockies are reportedly demoting Opening Day catcher Chris Iannetta to Triple-A.
Iannetta is off to a 4-for-30 (.133) start, but it sure seems odd to demote a 27-year-old veteran of 293 career games to Triple-A based on 30 bad at-bats after handing him an $8.3 million contract this offseason and starting him on Opening Day. The notion that Iannetta has anything left to learn or prove in the minors is fairly absurd.
Iannetta has gone through big slumps before, but has posted an OPS above .800 in back-to-back seasons as the Rockies’ primary catcher and has a career mark of .799 in 1,118 plate appearances. By comparison Miguel Olivo has a career OPS of .707 and has topped .730 just once in nine seasons, but has leap-frogged Iannetta on the depth chart based on a dozen strong games.
Some very short-sighted thinking by the Rockies, because if Iannetta warranted an $8.3 million deal this offseason and a start on Opening Day he certainly deserves more than eight games to get on track before sending him back to the minors at age 27. Since his debut in 2006 only six catchers have a higher OPS than Iannetta: Joe Mauer, Jorge Posada, Brian McCann, Mike Napoli, Victor Martinez, Geovany Soto.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)