Apr 27, 2010, 2:14 PM EDT
When Buster Posey was sent down during spring training the thought was that the team was doing the service time thing and wouldn’t think about calling him back up until June. Henry Schulman of the Chronicle reports, however, that the Giants are reconsidering this and may call him up sometime in the next week or two and would consider giving him at bats at Bengie Molina and Aubrey Huff’s expense.
Posey is hitting .353/.438./456 at Fresno right now. Twenty of his 24 hits are singles, however, and Schulman notes the Giants are concerned that he is “not driving the ball.” Of course, given that Bengie Molina is 3 for his last 28 with zero extra base hits, I imagine the Giants’ brass would consider someone who, while not driving the ball, can at least hit a little bit.
Whatever the case, the Giants need to operate on the extremely operative assumption that the NL West is winnable this year. Sure, some extra time in Fresno may teach Posey how to drive the ball a bit, but some extra time getting on base in San Francisco may be the difference between the Giants making the post season and sitting at home this year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)