Apr 27, 2010, 2:14 PM EDT
When Buster Posey was sent down during spring training the thought was that the team was doing the service time thing and wouldn’t think about calling him back up until June. Henry Schulman of the Chronicle reports, however, that the Giants are reconsidering this and may call him up sometime in the next week or two and would consider giving him at bats at Bengie Molina and Aubrey Huff’s expense.
Posey is hitting .353/.438./456 at Fresno right now. Twenty of his 24 hits are singles, however, and Schulman notes the Giants are concerned that he is “not driving the ball.” Of course, given that Bengie Molina is 3 for his last 28 with zero extra base hits, I imagine the Giants’ brass would consider someone who, while not driving the ball, can at least hit a little bit.
Whatever the case, the Giants need to operate on the extremely operative assumption that the NL West is winnable this year. Sure, some extra time in Fresno may teach Posey how to drive the ball a bit, but some extra time getting on base in San Francisco may be the difference between the Giants making the post season and sitting at home this year.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)