Apr 27, 2010, 2:14 PM EDT
When Buster Posey was sent down during spring training the thought was that the team was doing the service time thing and wouldn’t think about calling him back up until June. Henry Schulman of the Chronicle reports, however, that the Giants are reconsidering this and may call him up sometime in the next week or two and would consider giving him at bats at Bengie Molina and Aubrey Huff’s expense.
Posey is hitting .353/.438./456 at Fresno right now. Twenty of his 24 hits are singles, however, and Schulman notes the Giants are concerned that he is “not driving the ball.” Of course, given that Bengie Molina is 3 for his last 28 with zero extra base hits, I imagine the Giants’ brass would consider someone who, while not driving the ball, can at least hit a little bit.
Whatever the case, the Giants need to operate on the extremely operative assumption that the NL West is winnable this year. Sure, some extra time in Fresno may teach Posey how to drive the ball a bit, but some extra time getting on base in San Francisco may be the difference between the Giants making the post season and sitting at home this year.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 12
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 2
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 20
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)