Apr 27, 2010, 2:14 PM EST
When Buster Posey was sent down during spring training the thought was that the team was doing the service time thing and wouldn’t think about calling him back up until June. Henry Schulman of the Chronicle reports, however, that the Giants are reconsidering this and may call him up sometime in the next week or two and would consider giving him at bats at Bengie Molina and Aubrey Huff’s expense.
Posey is hitting .353/.438./456 at Fresno right now. Twenty of his 24 hits are singles, however, and Schulman notes the Giants are concerned that he is “not driving the ball.” Of course, given that Bengie Molina is 3 for his last 28 with zero extra base hits, I imagine the Giants’ brass would consider someone who, while not driving the ball, can at least hit a little bit.
Whatever the case, the Giants need to operate on the extremely operative assumption that the NL West is winnable this year. Sure, some extra time in Fresno may teach Posey how to drive the ball a bit, but some extra time getting on base in San Francisco may be the difference between the Giants making the post season and sitting at home this year.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 104
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 38
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (104)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)