Apr 28, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that “Reds manager Dusty Baker asked management about a contract extension … but evidently the team is not yet ready to decide upon his future.”
Baker was asked about the report yesterday and responded: “I haven’t talked to them. I don’t know where he heard that. It’s going to come when it comes. If it doesn’t come, what can you do? You still have to keep living, still keep doing your job.”
Rosenthal is among baseball’s most plugged-in reporters and if Baker’s agent did the talking for him the “I haven’t talked to them” line could technically still be true. Either way, he’s clearly on the hot seat. And deservedly so.
Baker built up a strong reputation while managing the Giants when Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent were the best one-two punch in the world, but had a losing record in his final two seasons with the Cubs and his first two seasons with the Reds. Right now Cincinnati is 9-11 and it looks like finishing above .500 for the first time since 2004 may be a struggle for the 61-year-old skipper.
Toss in his reputation for shredding young arms and his proudly eschewing on-base percentage for speedy athletes who can’t hit, and it’d be tough to blame for the Reds for wanting to go in a different direction after this season. Since leaving the Giants in 2002 his record is 483-509.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)