Apr 28, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that “Reds manager Dusty Baker asked management about a contract extension … but evidently the team is not yet ready to decide upon his future.”
Baker was asked about the report yesterday and responded: “I haven’t talked to them. I don’t know where he heard that. It’s going to come when it comes. If it doesn’t come, what can you do? You still have to keep living, still keep doing your job.”
Rosenthal is among baseball’s most plugged-in reporters and if Baker’s agent did the talking for him the “I haven’t talked to them” line could technically still be true. Either way, he’s clearly on the hot seat. And deservedly so.
Baker built up a strong reputation while managing the Giants when Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent were the best one-two punch in the world, but had a losing record in his final two seasons with the Cubs and his first two seasons with the Reds. Right now Cincinnati is 9-11 and it looks like finishing above .500 for the first time since 2004 may be a struggle for the 61-year-old skipper.
Toss in his reputation for shredding young arms and his proudly eschewing on-base percentage for speedy athletes who can’t hit, and it’d be tough to blame for the Reds for wanting to go in a different direction after this season. Since leaving the Giants in 2002 his record is 483-509.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)