Apr 28, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reported earlier this week that “Reds manager Dusty Baker asked management about a contract extension … but evidently the team is not yet ready to decide upon his future.”
Baker was asked about the report yesterday and responded: “I haven’t talked to them. I don’t know where he heard that. It’s going to come when it comes. If it doesn’t come, what can you do? You still have to keep living, still keep doing your job.”
Rosenthal is among baseball’s most plugged-in reporters and if Baker’s agent did the talking for him the “I haven’t talked to them” line could technically still be true. Either way, he’s clearly on the hot seat. And deservedly so.
Baker built up a strong reputation while managing the Giants when Barry Bonds and Jeff Kent were the best one-two punch in the world, but had a losing record in his final two seasons with the Cubs and his first two seasons with the Reds. Right now Cincinnati is 9-11 and it looks like finishing above .500 for the first time since 2004 may be a struggle for the 61-year-old skipper.
Toss in his reputation for shredding young arms and his proudly eschewing on-base percentage for speedy athletes who can’t hit, and it’d be tough to blame for the Reds for wanting to go in a different direction after this season. Since leaving the Giants in 2002 his record is 483-509.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)