I bet you can't guess who the most hated team in baseball is

Apr 28, 2010, 2:29 PM EDT

Indians script.gifNope. No, not them either.  You should probably just stop guessing, because you probably won’t get it right:

The Cleveland Indians.

That’s right, according to a Nielsen survey which uses various keywords in an effort to determine whether people have positive, negative
or neutral reactions to different brands and product, the Cleveland Indians are the most despised team in the majors. The Red Sox are the second most-hated. The Yankees are fifth.

Which seems absolutely nuts to me, because compared to other teams, the Indians don’t register strong reactions among anyone, including their most passionate fans. I have to assume that something is deeply wrong with the study, and that a “neutral” reaction — which anyone not related to an actual member of the Cleveland Indians team should probably have with this team — is unfairly penalized.

1. Evan - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Craig,
    Aren’t you from Ohio? Maybe that explains it! Har Har.

2. Mark Armpur - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Perhaps the team name and logo are part of the problem? They are for me, though not enough to cross the line to “hate.”

3. Jonny5 - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM

It’s gotta be the name and logo. I simply stated i didn’t see how the name was racist and was totally ripped into, told to shut the “f” up and called quite a few names, a certain guy has followed me around insulting me ever since (as if i care). I mean Damn, I’m hated for only supporting the team name. Of course He’ll comment and tell me it’s more, but I don’t think so..

4. YankeesfanLen - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Heard this in the morning. Figure it really means “least Liked” or “who gives a (reference from yesterday’s Senate hearings). I’m kind of neutral on Edward Jones and Ameritrade as well.

5. scatterbrian - Apr 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I just love how the headline of that article is “New York Yankees: Not the Most Hated Team in Baseball”

6. MikeZ - Apr 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM

The Indians are my second favorite team. Been that way since I started following baseball a long time ago, way before Major League(movie). How can you hate a team that does so much with so little in their small market? Would everyone love them if they changed their name to the Native Americans?
    Yanks 5th? Obviously something deeply wrong with this survey.

7. Joe L - Apr 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Joey Belle.

8. YANKEES1996 - Apr 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Is it possible that the study or the algorithm or whatever was created by some disgruntled Indians fans? I’m not complaining mind you… just wondering.

9. thatGuy - Apr 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM

If it was the name itself you would figure the Braves would be in the top 10 as well and they are not. Probably like craig states, they are analyzing indifference as hate…

10. TMW - Apr 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Braves? There’s nothing offensive about that name. Are you thinking that people just despise Native Americans? ‘Indians’ is a false representation of the people and the logo is flat-out racist.

11. david - Apr 28, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Well their river did catch on fire… I’m pretty sure they had something to do with that, that and Major League II.

12. thisisbeth - Apr 28, 2010 at 4:02 PM

While I don’t think that “Indians” as a name is offensive, I do think their logo is rather offensive. It’s not enough to move them to “most hated.”

13. Jim - Apr 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me. Even the NY Times despises the Yankees:

14. Chris Simonds - Apr 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM

The problem is Nielsen. The marketing and advertising revenue stream traditionally attached to television is in chaos. Nielsen, which fed in that stream, is looking for ways to keep itself relevant. It’s taking on a lot of half-assed, desperate work.

15. UTurn - Apr 28, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Maybe it’s the word Cleveland that turns people off. It just oozes fat, stupid, and obnoxious.

16. Joey Belle - Apr 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Thats Albert to you Sir! And please don’t leave out the fact that Manny came with the Tribe!

17. danphxariz - Apr 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM

You are right, something is deeply wrong with that study. No way the Indians even rate a blip as far as most hated baseball team. Anyone who is alive on this planet knows that the Yankees are far and away the most hated team in all of sports, with nobody even running a close second.

18. Son of Shane Mack - Apr 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM

This survey is clearly bogus.
    It’s one thing if the Yankees don’t win the “most hated” lottery – which I find unlikely., I’ll admit. Personally, I hate them more than the rest of the teams that I dislike in any sport combined. I understand not everyone is like me.
    It’s another thing if the innocuous Cleveland Indians are declared the “most hated team.”
    What? Cleveland? My team plays them over a dozen times each season and I don’t hate them.
    Clearly bogus.

19. Sarah - Apr 28, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Who voted in this “survey?” It’s crazy enough that Cleveland is the “most hated” but the fact that, according to this poll, there are a total of four teams hated more than the Yankees is a dead give-away that something is off.

20. Meat - Apr 29, 2010 at 2:28 AM

FYI, I hate the Yankees with the white hot intensity of every star in the universe.

21. Phil - Apr 29, 2010 at 8:25 AM

The study was done pretty much doing an internet search for teams and hate. I guaruntee the indians came up as the number 1 most hated team with most of the hate from people that are indians fans who complain about everything.

22. somewhere in old tiger stadium - Apr 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

the study used more than just the word ‘hate’ and it was fairly complex. Still I wonder if 1) the fact that Cleveland fans are some of the most self hating fan bases in the world and 2) the fact that Cleveland and the Indians are the easiest butt of jokes anywhere aren’t skewing the data.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2505)