Apr 28, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
Jorge Posada was lifted from Wednesday’s game in the second inning after taking a Jeremy Guthrie fastball to the right knee. He was later diagnosed with a knee contusion and is listed as day-to-day.
Francisco Cervelli, the Yankees’ 24-year-old backup, will finish out the rest of the game and may need to play Thursday as well. The Yanks have no further tests planned for Posada’s right knee, but that could change if he wakes up with an increased amount of pain in the morning.
Posada, 38, is batting .316/.400/.649 with five homers and 12 RBI through 57 at-bats this season. He has started 16 games behind the plate.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 0
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)