Apr 28, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
Jorge Posada was lifted from Wednesday’s game in the second inning after taking a Jeremy Guthrie fastball to the right knee. He was later diagnosed with a knee contusion and is listed as day-to-day.
Francisco Cervelli, the Yankees’ 24-year-old backup, will finish out the rest of the game and may need to play Thursday as well. The Yanks have no further tests planned for Posada’s right knee, but that could change if he wakes up with an increased amount of pain in the morning.
Posada, 38, is batting .316/.400/.649 with five homers and 12 RBI through 57 at-bats this season. He has started 16 games behind the plate.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8