Apr 28, 2010, 7:54 PM EDT
Jorge Posada was lifted from Wednesday’s game in the second inning after taking a Jeremy Guthrie fastball to the right knee. He was later diagnosed with a knee contusion and is listed as day-to-day.
Francisco Cervelli, the Yankees’ 24-year-old backup, will finish out the rest of the game and may need to play Thursday as well. The Yanks have no further tests planned for Posada’s right knee, but that could change if he wakes up with an increased amount of pain in the morning.
Posada, 38, is batting .316/.400/.649 with five homers and 12 RBI through 57 at-bats this season. He has started 16 games behind the plate.
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 33
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 51
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 64
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)