Miguel Olivo has kidney stones, is a tough guy

Apr 28, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Miguel Olivo passed two kidney stones Monday … and still started at catcher for the Rockies and played all nine innings behind the plate that night.
By comparison, I’m giving serious thought to taking the rest of the day off after writing about his kidney stones.
Mike Cameron also passed a kidney stone last week before going on the disabled list with a strained abdominal muscle and Brian Roberts was initially thought to have kidney stones this spring before being diagnosed with back spasms instead.
Olivo has actually gone through this before, spending time on the disabled list with kidney stones back in 2004. And here I thought Chris Iannetta was the Rockies catcher to feel sorry for. Also, if the mere mention of “kidney stone” doesn’t make you squirm, read this and get back to me.
UPDATE: OK, so apparently not only did Olivo pass two kidney stones Monday, he did so during the game. Here’s the story from Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post:

We take you to the eighth inning of the Rockies-Diamondbacks game Monday night, when Miguel Olivo passed a kidney stone in the bathroom adjacent to the dugout. The amazing part is what he did a few minutes later. He strapped on his catching gear and returned to his crouch behind home plate. “Believe me, it’s not fun,” said Olivo. “Sometimes, when I’ve got that thing, I just want to die. But I can handle pain a little bit. Once it’s gone, I’m normal, I’m good. Let’s play baseball.”

Yeesh.

1. BC - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Ow.

2. bisonaudit - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

When is someone going to connect the dots on the rising incidence for kidney stones in these ball players and steriod testing.
    Can you spell masking agent?
    coaling of

3. Ralph - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Wow. Big brass ones on Olivo, huh?
    Captcha: benches of

4. JayT - Apr 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Honestly, I’m not all that surprised that he went back to the game after passing them. I’ve had kidney stones, and my experiance was that the second they were out of me, I felt 100%.
    Now, that he was able to play with them is what shocks me. I was bed-ridden for a week.

5. fmfnavydoc - Apr 29, 2010 at 12:57 AM

I passed stones a few years ago – 50mg of Demerol couldn’t touch the pain…told to stay home for two days afterward. Olivio passes stones during a game, and still goes out and plays – UFB!
    JayT – you right, once they were passed, it was a huge relief. But, whle passing them, it was like I was trying to give birth to a 2 ton Elephant through “Big Jim”…

6. The Rabbit - Apr 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM

There are no dots to connect, yet. You don’t have a clue as to whether or not there is a rising incidence of kidney stones. What you have is a rising report of them…and that’s not the same thing.
    1) Prior to the world of tweets and blogs, players’ health conditions unless game related were rarely reported to the public.
    2) If this had happened over the winter, you wouldn’t have even heard about it.
    You have zero way of knowing from the reported information if there is an actual increase; therefore, I’m not willing to assume that every player’s health issue is drug related.
    Note: I did statistical “morbidity” (injury/illness) studies for insurance companies at one point in my career, so I tend not to jump to conclusions without hard facts.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet