Apr 28, 2010, 1:48 PM EST
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Miguel Olivo passed two kidney stones Monday … and still started at catcher for the Rockies and played all nine innings behind the plate that night.
By comparison, I’m giving serious thought to taking the rest of the day off after writing about his kidney stones.
Mike Cameron also passed a kidney stone last week before going on the disabled list with a strained abdominal muscle and Brian Roberts was initially thought to have kidney stones this spring before being diagnosed with back spasms instead.
Olivo has actually gone through this before, spending time on the disabled list with kidney stones back in 2004. And here I thought Chris Iannetta was the Rockies catcher to feel sorry for. Also, if the mere mention of “kidney stone” doesn’t make you squirm, read this and get back to me.
UPDATE: OK, so apparently not only did Olivo pass two kidney stones Monday, he did so during the game. Here’s the story from Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post:
We take you to the eighth inning of the Rockies-Diamondbacks game Monday night, when Miguel Olivo passed a kidney stone in the bathroom adjacent to the dugout. The amazing part is what he did a few minutes later. He strapped on his catching gear and returned to his crouch behind home plate. “Believe me, it’s not fun,” said Olivo. “Sometimes, when I’ve got that thing, I just want to die. But I can handle pain a little bit. Once it’s gone, I’m normal, I’m good. Let’s play baseball.”
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)