O's Chris Tillman throws no-hitter at Triple-A

Apr 28, 2010, 10:14 PM EDT

The future just got a little brighter for the Orioles.  Well, if you’re into immediate over-reactions and things of that nature.  But enough with the pessimism.  Chris Tillman, a 22-year-old right-hander in the O’s system, tossed nine innings of no-hit baseball on Wednesday night against the Braves’ Triple-A affiliate in Gwinnett, Georgia.

MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli, the Orioles’ major league beat reporter, grabbed a quote from Tillman after the start:

“Everything kind of fell into place,” Tillman said Wednesday. “I was pitching around my fastball. I had my curveball when I
needed it. I was able to throw my changeup and my cutter.  My catcher
[Adam Donachie] did a great job calling pitches. I had three or four
great plays behind me.”

It was a team effort, and the Norfolk Tides defeated the Gwinnett Braves 6-0.  Tillman was a near-lock to capture Baltimore’s final rotation spot this spring after throwing 65 major league innings last season, but David Hernandez stepped up and secured the gig.  Now Tillman is fighting his way back to the big leagues, and tonight’s performance should only help.

1. Nasty Boy - Apr 29, 2010 at 1:12 AM

It’s night and day between AAA and the big league . Look at Bucholz , he throws a no hitter in the big leagues last year and isn’t doing so good now . Good luck to Tillman , I hope he makes it .

2. Professor Longnose - Apr 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I wonder how often a major league club and its triple A affiliate have been no-hit in the same month.

3. DANimal - Apr 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Were you asleep for Buchholz’s last outing? He was filthy. And I’m not even a Red Sox fan.

4. Matt - Apr 29, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Not that impressive considering it’s the BRAVES AAA farm team and the supposed “best” hitters are with the Braves and even they can’t swing their way out of wet paper bag!

5. NastyBoyIsAnIdiot - Apr 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM

First of all that no hitter was not last year.
    Secondly, Buchholz is doing pretty damn well right now.
    A lot of good MLB pitchers actually fared pretty well in AAA.

6. Nasty Boy - Apr 29, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Your Mother”s an idiot for having you, jerk-off . Whenever his no hitter was who cares . Hey Stupid , If they don’t do well in the minors they usually don’t get the call . Bucholz , is erratic at best , that’s his track record . Don’t think because a biased jerk like yourself likes the blosux that all of a sudden they have good pitching . That so-called staff is mediocre at best . Think about third place .

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3644)