Apr 28, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
When grade school kids are faced with what Stephen Strasburg is currently faced with — the total lack of a challenge — they are double promoted. Or at least put in the gifted class or something, because if they get bored they start setting fires and stuff.
Strasburg pitched five no-hit innings yesterday with no walks and six strikeouts. He even got an RBI single. According to the game story the radar gun gave reading of 94, but those in the know say that it runs about 4 m.p.h. slow.
Strasburg’s ERA is 0.52. He has allowed only seven
hits in 17 innings and has struck out 23 dudes while walking just three. I think he’s ready.
Of course he still won’t be called up for a few weeks yet, because as everyone knows — and despite whatever things Strasburg and the Nats say about him still needing to work on things — this is clearly a service time thing. We’ve talked about this before with respect to various prospects, but for everything you ever wanted to know about Super Two status, service time politics and how it all relates to Strasburg, the Post had a pretty comprehensive piece on it back in March.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)