Apr 28, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
Ever since Ron Blomberg and his ilk ruined our national pastime lo those 37 years ago, the rule has been that the designated hitter is to be used when an American League team hosts the All-Star Game, and that the pitchers will bat when in a Senior Circuit park.
That is no more, as baseball announced a few moments ago that, henceforth, the DH will be used in all All-Star games. In the AL, the fans will choose the DH. The manager for the NL team will choose who will DH for him. And despite what you think I was going to say about it, I like this move.
The All-Star Game is not real baseball as we all know and love it. It’s an exhibition. Multiple substitutions are made and regular strategy is thrown out the window, so why not give the people what they want (and no matter what I say about the DH, I’ll freely admit that the masses want it). And to be honest, it may actually improve the All-Star Game. As of now, new pitchers are used almost every inning, so they’re always fresh and always firing it in there. In light of this fact, the teams could use all the extra offense they can muster.
- Any pitcher selected to an All-Star Team who starts a regular season
game on the Sunday immediately preceding the All-Star Game will not be
eligible to pitch in the All-Star Game and will be replaced on the
roster. Upshot: teams will make sure that their best pitchers all pitch on that Sunday, I presume.
- Rosters will be expanded from 33 players to 34 players, with the additional player being a position player. Let’s call this the “Chris Sabo Rule,” shall we?
- There already exists a rule that says a catcher who has already played in the game and left can come back in to the game if the last eligible catcher is injured. That rule is being expanded to cover one additional non-catching position player.
The one rule change that we would all like to see — the elimination of the All-Star Game determining home field advantage in the World Series — did not occur. Given that was basically Bud Selig’s baby, I presume we won’t see that change until he has gone off to Commissioner of Baseball Valhalla.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)