Apr 28, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
As I mentioned in the recaps this morning, Trevor Hoffman got creamed last night. He came in to preserve a 3-2 lead in the ninth against the Pirates, but gave up a leadoff homer to Ronny Cedeno which tied the game. He then loaded the bases
and gave up a grand slam to Ryan Doumit. Both homers were hit really hard.
now blown three saves, has given up five homers in eight innings after allowing only two in 54
innings last season. I mentioned his reluctance to use his changeup this morning, but as Tom Haudricort notes, that has an awful lot to do with not getting his fastball over the plate early in the count to get ahead (and then having to throw his fastball over the plate late in the count, which looks like batting practice).
Hoffman is a legend and everything so it’s not like he’s going to suddenly
lose his job, but Ken Macha has to be concerned. If the struggles continue, he’s going to have to look for another closer. Where to go if Hoffman continues to not get the job done? LaTroy Hawkins is a possibility, but it’s not like he’s pitching very well this year himself (8.64 ERA). Maybe the best bet would be Carlos Villanueva, who has struck out 14 guys in 11 innings, only allowing 5 hits.
Hopefully it won’t come to that, though, and here’s hoping Hoffman can turn it around.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 145
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (145)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)