Apr 28, 2010, 8:41 AM EST
As I mentioned in the recaps this morning, Trevor Hoffman got creamed last night. He came in to preserve a 3-2 lead in the ninth against the Pirates, but gave up a leadoff homer to Ronny Cedeno which tied the game. He then loaded the bases
and gave up a grand slam to Ryan Doumit. Both homers were hit really hard.
now blown three saves, has given up five homers in eight innings after allowing only two in 54
innings last season. I mentioned his reluctance to use his changeup this morning, but as Tom Haudricort notes, that has an awful lot to do with not getting his fastball over the plate early in the count to get ahead (and then having to throw his fastball over the plate late in the count, which looks like batting practice).
Hoffman is a legend and everything so it’s not like he’s going to suddenly
lose his job, but Ken Macha has to be concerned. If the struggles continue, he’s going to have to look for another closer. Where to go if Hoffman continues to not get the job done? LaTroy Hawkins is a possibility, but it’s not like he’s pitching very well this year himself (8.64 ERA). Maybe the best bet would be Carlos Villanueva, who has struck out 14 guys in 11 innings, only allowing 5 hits.
Hopefully it won’t come to that, though, and here’s hoping Hoffman can turn it around.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)