Apr 29, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
Aroldis Chapman started for Louisville last night and via this scouting report from FanHouse’s Frankie Piliere, he still has some work to do before he’s going to make it to the bigs.
Two issues, really. The first was his velocity. While it took Chapman a while to get up to full speed on a cold night, he eventually did hit the high 90s by the middle innings and even reached 100 twice. But then he fell off pretty rapidly, leading Piliere to conclude that “it could be that Chapman was trying to pace himself, but didn’t quite
But the bigger problem may have been his command. Piliere says that none of Chapman’s secondary pitches were working for him last night, allowing hitters to sit dead-red. Which they did, and which Chapman threw over the heart of the plate too often, leading to two homers allowed.
The overall line wasn’t bad — 6IP, 5H, 3ER, 2BB, 4Ks — but to at least one scout’s eyes, it was not a ready for prime time performance. You have to figure that the Reds — who have an incentive to keep
Willis Chapman down on the farm a while anyway — probably saw the same things.
(Willis? Man, I have no idea. Long day I guess).
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)