Apr 29, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Evan Grant reports that if the Rangers sale isn’t done by June, the team will have to take more money from Major League Baseball to make ends meet.
Last year baseball extended the team a $25 million line of credit. They used $16 million of it in 2009 to meet payroll obligations. Grant reports that both payroll and revenue are basically flat compared to last year, which suggests that baseball will have to go beyond that original $25 million. As Grant notes, since baseball is a creditor which expects its money back, the more money it gives to the team the less there is available for the troublesome, sale-blocking creditors, which makes closing the deal even harder. See, cycle, vicious.
What’s worse is that if we get to June and the team is still on the dole, they will be unable to pay real bonuses to their draft picks and, instead, will be required to pay MLB-imposed slot prices, which could seriously hinder the Rangers’ ability to, you know, get good players.
There have been a lot of self-imposed deadlines in this transaction, none of which have done much to spur real action by the parties. The end of May, however, brings with it serious consequences if the deal is not yet done. It would seem, then, that everyone had best get busy.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)