Apr 29, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
In the least shocking news of the week, Arizona has placed Kris Benson on the disabled list with a sore shoulder. When the Diamondbacks added him to the rotation two weeks ago I wrote that choosing the oft-injured, rarely effective, 35-year-old Benson over various minor-league options made little sense.
He was actually better than I expected, putting together back-to-back solid outings, but sure enough he heads back to the DL having posted a 5.14 ERA. Now the Diamondbacks will turn to prospect Kevin Mulvey, which they probably should have done in the first place.
Acquired from the Twins for Jon Rauch in the middle of last season, Mulvey projects as a back-of-the-rotation starter after spending the past two-plus seasons at Triple-A posting a 3.79 ERA and 251/107 K/BB ratio in 323 innings. Mulvey’s stock has dropped considerably since he was a Mets second-round pick and key piece of Minnesota’s haul for Johan Santana, but he’s certainly far more likely than Benson to log 150 innings with a 4.50 ERA at this point. Benson hasn’t done that since 2005, when Mulvey was in college at Villanova.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)