Apr 29, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Jaime Garcia claimed the Cardinals’ final rotation spot with a standout spring training and is 2-1 with a 1.04 ERA through four starts after shutting out the Braves for seven innings Wednesday.
Garcia struggled to consistently throw strikes in the minors after Tommy John surgery in 2008, but so far at least control hasn’t been an issue and the 23-year-old rookie’s raw stuff is good enough to miss bats and induce ground balls.
He’ll no doubt go through some rough patches eventually, but Garcia has No. 2 starter upside in a rotation that already boasted a pair of aces in Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright, not to mention a resurgent Brad Penny.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)