Apr 29, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Jorge Posada was plunked in the knee with a Jeremy Guthrie pitch in the second inning of yesterday’s Yankees-O’s game and is likely to miss today’s game due to what’s being called a contusion (“bruise” is much too pedestrian a word to use for one of the Core Four).
“I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose, but he hits a lot of people. That’s frustrating for us. We know he’s going to pitch
inside and I don’t have a problem with that. What do you expect, me to
be happy that our guys are getting plunked? I’m frustrated by it. I wish
he had better command in there.”
The thing about it is that Guthrie doesn’t necessarily hit a lot of guys. Just a lot of Yankees. He plunked nine dudes last year, which didn’t approach the top of the league (that honor went to Girardi’s man, Joba Chamberlain), but five of them were Yankees. Three of his seven HBPs in 2008 were Yankees, two of which he nailed in one game.
In fact, of his 19 career HBPs, nine have come against the Yankees, and no more than three have come against any other team. In light of that, one gets the sense that Guthrie — who is prone to the gopher ball — is making a special effort to keep the Bombers from hitting bombs.
If so, maybe he wants to try something else, because he’s given up more homers to the Yankees than any other team he’s faced as well.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 10
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)