Apr 29, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Jorge Posada was plunked in the knee with a Jeremy Guthrie pitch in the second inning of yesterday’s Yankees-O’s game and is likely to miss today’s game due to what’s being called a contusion (“bruise” is much too pedestrian a word to use for one of the Core Four).
“I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose, but he hits a lot of people. That’s frustrating for us. We know he’s going to pitch
inside and I don’t have a problem with that. What do you expect, me to
be happy that our guys are getting plunked? I’m frustrated by it. I wish
he had better command in there.”
The thing about it is that Guthrie doesn’t necessarily hit a lot of guys. Just a lot of Yankees. He plunked nine dudes last year, which didn’t approach the top of the league (that honor went to Girardi’s man, Joba Chamberlain), but five of them were Yankees. Three of his seven HBPs in 2008 were Yankees, two of which he nailed in one game.
In fact, of his 19 career HBPs, nine have come against the Yankees, and no more than three have come against any other team. In light of that, one gets the sense that Guthrie — who is prone to the gopher ball — is making a special effort to keep the Bombers from hitting bombs.
If so, maybe he wants to try something else, because he’s given up more homers to the Yankees than any other team he’s faced as well.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (159)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)