Apr 29, 2010, 9:20 AM EST
Jorge Posada was plunked in the knee with a Jeremy Guthrie pitch in the second inning of yesterday’s Yankees-O’s game and is likely to miss today’s game due to what’s being called a contusion (“bruise” is much too pedestrian a word to use for one of the Core Four).
“I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose, but he hits a lot of people. That’s frustrating for us. We know he’s going to pitch
inside and I don’t have a problem with that. What do you expect, me to
be happy that our guys are getting plunked? I’m frustrated by it. I wish
he had better command in there.”
The thing about it is that Guthrie doesn’t necessarily hit a lot of guys. Just a lot of Yankees. He plunked nine dudes last year, which didn’t approach the top of the league (that honor went to Girardi’s man, Joba Chamberlain), but five of them were Yankees. Three of his seven HBPs in 2008 were Yankees, two of which he nailed in one game.
In fact, of his 19 career HBPs, nine have come against the Yankees, and no more than three have come against any other team. In light of that, one gets the sense that Guthrie — who is prone to the gopher ball — is making a special effort to keep the Bombers from hitting bombs.
If so, maybe he wants to try something else, because he’s given up more homers to the Yankees than any other team he’s faced as well.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 6
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 27
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)