Apr 29, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
Jorge Posada was plunked in the knee with a Jeremy Guthrie pitch in the second inning of yesterday’s Yankees-O’s game and is likely to miss today’s game due to what’s being called a contusion (“bruise” is much too pedestrian a word to use for one of the Core Four).
“I don’t think he’s doing it on purpose, but he hits a lot of people. That’s frustrating for us. We know he’s going to pitch
inside and I don’t have a problem with that. What do you expect, me to
be happy that our guys are getting plunked? I’m frustrated by it. I wish
he had better command in there.”
The thing about it is that Guthrie doesn’t necessarily hit a lot of guys. Just a lot of Yankees. He plunked nine dudes last year, which didn’t approach the top of the league (that honor went to Girardi’s man, Joba Chamberlain), but five of them were Yankees. Three of his seven HBPs in 2008 were Yankees, two of which he nailed in one game.
In fact, of his 19 career HBPs, nine have come against the Yankees, and no more than three have come against any other team. In light of that, one gets the sense that Guthrie — who is prone to the gopher ball — is making a special effort to keep the Bombers from hitting bombs.
If so, maybe he wants to try something else, because he’s given up more homers to the Yankees than any other team he’s faced as well.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)