The voice of your franchise

Apr 29, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT

Wezen-Ball is good at making charts of interesting things. The latest: inspired by Bob Uecker, a graph illustrating the tenures of some of the game’s greatest broadcasting voices.

In other news, yes, I agree that the Predator monster would make a pretty good ballplayer.

1. Jonny5 - Apr 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM

What no Richie Ashburn??? one of the wiz kids broadcasts for over 34 years and not a mention of “Whitey”????

2. Joel in Chicago - Apr 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

what about Jerry Colemen? He bagn broadcasting Yankee games in 1963, and moved to the Padres in 1972 and has been doing Padre games ever since. My childhood was filled with his voice, just like other folks had Caray or Uecker. Coleman gets the shaft in the recognition arena.

3. Brian - Apr 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I guess they figure that even in heaven, people like having wallets!

4. lar @ wezen-ball - Apr 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Joel: I didn’t know that about Coleman. I put out a call on Twitter yesterday for the “voice of” each franchise, and no one brought him up. I wish they had, because I would’ve had to look deeper into him. The Royals’ Denny Matthews and Toronto’s Tom Cheek kind of got the same deal on my end (though I would have had to draw a line somewhere anyway).
    And, Jonny5, you’re right. But I went with Kalas – he seems to be more of the “voice” of the Phillies…

5. Simon DelMonte - Apr 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I would add Bob Murphy, voice of the Mets through good, bad, and ugly from 1962 until 2003. I miss his work.

6. The Ol Goaler - Apr 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I’m a lucky, lucky guy… my childhood was brought to me by both Harry Caray and Jack Buck, as the two-man team on St. Louis Cardinals broadcasts!

7. Jonny5 - Apr 29, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Absolutely larry, Harry was more of “the voice” of the Phills. I guess I was looking at it as more of a list of guys who put in many years, which both did. That list would be huge in all fairness. Good work by the way, love your blog.

8. olmedotimes - Apr 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Bill King was my favorite.

9. scatterbrian - Apr 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Hell yeah Olmedo, I loved Bill King too. I remember taping some A’s post-game shows just to hear replays of his play-by-play. He’s either under-appreciated or just not very well known outside the Bay Area. He was always objective, and his inflection and excitement during certain calls were always based on the situation rather than the teams involved. And he wasn’t afraid to tell the audience that the A’s were playing poorly if they were playing poorly, when many broadcasters can be too glass-half-full for my taste.

10. ChrisKol - Apr 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Yeah…I’m a bit miffed about Tom Cheek. I mean how can he NOT be on this list given his involvement since the Blue Jays’ inception and doing 2 World Series championships. I have “Touch ‘em all Joe! you’ll never hit a bigger home run in your life.” etched into my memory.
    Without sounding too preachy or bitter, I guess it’s another bias/lack of coverage of baseball North.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug