Apr 29, 2010, 10:12 AM EST
Aaron just told you about the blown save that cost Tim Lincecum and the Giants the game yesterday, but perhaps the most interesting thing that happened in the game occurred when Lincecum faced Cole Hamels in the top of the third.
With the count 1-2 to an obviously overmatched Hamels, Lincecum threw a fastball. It was in basically the same location as his first strike to Hamels, appearing to catch the upper right portion of the zone. As soon as it was caught Hamels turned around to head back to the dugout and Lincecum started to walk off the mound, each of the pitchers agreeing that it was a strike. Home plate umpire Dana DeMuth disagreed, however, calling it a ball. Next pitch: Lincecum sends a fastball to the backstop which flew over his catcher’s glove and not too far above the head of DeMuth.
I described Lincecum as laid back in the recaps this morning, but that’s just lazy stereotyping of stoners on my part. I mean really, how laid back are you if you’re the type that brushes back the home plate umpire if you don’t get the call?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)