Apr 29, 2010, 12:41 PM EDT
Minnesota allowed 10 unanswered runs to Detroit last night to turn a 6-1 lead into an 11-6 loss and now the Twins are without Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, and J.J. Hardy for this afternoon’s series finale.
Morneau is out indefinitely after leaving Tuesday’s game with back soreness. Hardy has a case of turf toe that had him running even slower than usual last night. And last but not least Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Mauer is simply “banged up and needs a day off from catching.” He had started 19 of the first 21 games.
Minnesota’s lineup actually doesn’t look all that terrible to me and there’s always a chance of Dontrelle Willis making it a moot point by just imploding, but the Twins’ defense probably isn’t going to do Carl Pavano any favors with Brendan Harris at shortstop, Luke Hughes at third base, Drew Butera behind the plate, and the combination of Delmon Young and Jason Kubel patrolling the outfield corners.
Should be an interesting afternoon matchup between the AL Central’s only above-.500 teams.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17