Whine of the day: Chris Perez

Apr 29, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT

Howie Kendrick bunt.jpg

“It was a bad baseball play that happened to work out. I
don’t want to say it was bush league. But you never see that.
Ninety-nine percent of hitters in that situation would rather win the
game with a hit, not a bunt.

“It was a stupid play that just
happened to work.”

Indians reliever Chris Perez, commenting on Howie Kendrick’s game-winning bunt from yesterday’s game, while seemingly being unaware that all is fair in love, war and baseball.

Was the bunt the best tactical decision in the world? Nah. But it freakin’ worked, it was exciting as all hell to watch and Perez’s “I don’t want to call it bush league but I’m basically calling it bush league” jive looks even worse today than the Indians poor defensive alignment before the play did.

1. Phil - Apr 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Ninety-nine percent of hitters in that situation would rather win the game with a hit, not a bunt.
    Yeah, but one hundred percent of the hitters would rather just win the freakin’ game. I guess I didn’t get the memo Chris got, ‘cuz here I am thinking the object of the game is to score more runs than the other guys so you can get one of those shiny “W” thingies.

2. Al - Apr 29, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Perez is showing himself to be quite a whiner. A few weeks ago he basically blamed a blown save on Lou Marson for not being able to corral a wild pitch.

3. onesweetworld - Apr 29, 2010 at 3:39 PM

This guy is joking right? Its just as bad as Schilling calling out that dude who broke up his no-hitter in the 8th with a bunt even though the score was 2-0 and getting on base meant getting the tying run up to bat but who needs logic when you’retCurt Schilling and I love run on sentences…..

4. Joe - Apr 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I thought the Angels were known for “Playing the Game the Right Way,” but this seems to dispel that notion.
    Apparently teams hate it when they get caught off guard by a bunt. Didn’t somebody on the Diamondbacks lose a no-hitter this way? (I want to say Schilling, but it also doesn’t seem like it was quite that long ago.)
    What’s next, complaining about a pickoff move when one team has a big lead? “You don’t want to get an out that way.”

5. DiLo_OnlyInCle - Apr 29, 2010 at 3:47 PM

First of all Chris Perez doesn’t have the right to complain to ANYONE. He has yet to prove himself on the field and until he does that he needs to keep his finger pointing in check.
    Second, anyone with any baseball IQ would have bunted in that situation. The corners of the infield were playing deep as was the middle infield. The risk was too low not to try to lay down a bunt. If Branyan and Peralta would have been up on the grass, we wouldn’t have been in this situation.
    There is no reason for Perez to open his mouth, it just makes matters worse. On a day where the Indians got it going offensively, the pitching staff, as a whole, lost the game.
    So quit pointing your finger and go back and look at the game, you and your staff blew the game. Kendrick just caught the Indians on their heels.

6. ecp - Apr 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I liked Indians blogger Steve Buffum’s take:
    “Don’t bitch about getting beat and looking dumb in the process.”

7. HaloFan - Apr 29, 2010 at 4:01 PM

“Bush league” = outsmart your opponents, correctly execute your plan, then win the game. Thanks Chris; I think I’ve got it now!

I guess that also means we can expect Mr. Perez to call out the pitch and location to all future batters. ‘Cuz you know, you wouldn’t want to get them out by keeping them guessing.

8. Spice - Apr 29, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Mr. Perez,
    That is a called a squeeze play. It has been in baseball since the first batter figured out how to bunt. It is a legitimate play and has won many, many ball games.
    Good baseball teams know how to use the squeeze play. Good baseball teams know how to defend against the squeeze play.
    Good baseball players don’t whine because they were beaten fair and square by a incrementally sound baseball team.
    Get it now?

9. Doracle - Apr 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM

As an Indians fan, I agree that Chris Perez had to shut his mouth. He already threw Lou Marson under the bus after he blew a game earlier this year, whining about how Marson couldn’t catch his wild pitch. I mean, jeez, you’d think that he could have said something to Marson behind closed doors if he were really that upset.
    The kid has a good arm, so I hope he learns to keep his mouth shut.

10. The JTrain - Apr 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I thought it was a great play. The object is to win. Perez said players would rather win with a hit… Well, that’s what Kendrick did, he hit a bunt single. It wasn’t scored an error, but a hit.
    I even own Perez on my fantasy team, and I think it’s a great play. Get over it and get back out there the next day. Stop whining and start winning.

11. mattj - Apr 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM

those are the words of a player who will never reach his potential because he’ll always have an excuse or someone else to blame. if a bunt isn’t macho enough for him, i trust perez will never pitch around a tough hitter to get to a weaker one.

12. willmose - Apr 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM

You can see why the Cardinals got rid of him

13. BCTF - Apr 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Did the Indians win the pennant on a similar play? I believe Jake Taylor laid down the bunt.

14. angelsphan - Apr 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM

BCTF. best comment I have ever seen in my entire internet career.

15. InnocentBystander - Apr 29, 2010 at 8:59 PM

“All is fair in love, war and baseball”?!? You forgot to include the very clear exception to this rule. In full it states, “All is fair in love, war and baseball…unless you’re A-Rod. Then whatever you do will be undeservedly scrutinized to the fullest extent possible.”

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2943)