Apr 29, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
“It was a bad baseball play that happened to work out. I
don’t want to say it was bush league. But you never see that.
Ninety-nine percent of hitters in that situation would rather win the
game with a hit, not a bunt.
“It was a stupid play that just
happened to work.”
Indians reliever Chris Perez, commenting on Howie Kendrick’s game-winning bunt from yesterday’s game, while seemingly being unaware that all is fair in love, war and baseball.
Was the bunt the best tactical decision in the world? Nah. But it freakin’ worked, it was exciting as all hell to watch and Perez’s “I don’t want to call it bush league but I’m basically calling it bush league” jive looks even worse today than the Indians poor defensive alignment before the play did.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 60
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)