And That Happened: Thursday's Scores and Highlights

Apr 30, 2010, 5:37 AM EDT

kids at Huntington Park small.JPGRays 11, Royals 1: The Rays are good the Royals are bad and you all know
that, so there’s no sense in dwelling on it here. Let’s take things in a
different direction: My wife and I took the kids to the Columbus
Clippers-Charlotte Knights game last night, which the Clippers won 9-7.
My daughter is six, and she thought it was quite hilarious and a little
bit cute that there was a
player with the last name of “Flowers”
and a
player with the first name of “Shelley”
playing in the game. My son,
who is 4, decided that he wanted to boo the Charlotte Knights because
“they’re not from around here.” Later he decided to boo a couple that
came in and sat down three innings into the game “for bein’ late to the ballgame.”  I was a bit uneasy with the former booing, but
strongly approved of the latter.

Tigers 3, Twins 0:  D-Train beats the Twins’ Morneau and Mauer-free lineup, shutting them out over six innings. Given that he couldn’t even get the ball over the plate this time last year I got nothin’ but kudos for the guy, and would even if it was an American Legion lineup from Minnetonka.

White Sox 7, Rangers 5: Paul Konerko homered twice, the second of which put the Sox’ lead out of reach. That brings him up to 10 which leads the league. Great Moments in Energy Conservation: Michael Young checked his swing in the fifth, and the ball traveled so short a distance that A.J. Pierzynski was able to pick it up and tag Young before he had even left the batter’s box.

Yankees 4, Orioles 0: Robbie Cano had two homers and Marcus Thames had three hits, but after all these years we’re used to those two legends carrying this storied franchise on their broad shoulders.

Blue Jays 6, Athletics 3: John Buck was a 50% better hitter than Paul Konerko and Robbie Cano last night, blasting three bombs. The Athletics have lost seven of 10, shifting them back towards the “not for real” side of the ledger. The Jays can tell them all about it. And bad news for the Athletics as Justin Duchscherer had to leave the game with an injured hip, which appears to be serious.

Reds 4, Astros 2: Four in a row for the Redlegs. Pfun Pfact, courtesy of Red Reporter: despite the fact that Bronson Arroyo and Roy Oswalt have pitched in the same division for the past 4 seasons, last night was the first time they have faced each other in nine years, back when Arroyo was with the Pirates. How they’ve avoided each other for so long is just one of them things, I guess.

Diamondbacks 13, Cubs 5: Kelly Johnson was 4 for 5 with a homer — his NL-leading 9th — and three RBI. Adam LaRoche hit two homers and drove in five.  We’re basically one Mark DeRosa hitting streak and a Jason Marquis no-hitter away from me becoming more interested in rooting for the Braves alumni club more than I root for the Braves themselves.

Cardinals 10, Braves 4: A six RBI day for David Freese as the Cardinals win easily. Again. It’s bad enough that the Braves have dropped nine straight, but now they’re racking up injuries to go along with their futility. Jair Jurrjens left the game with a sore hamstring. Yunel left with a strained left adductor. Bobby Cox has a blown gasket: “It was a lousy trip. It’s been a horrible experience to endure,” Cox
said of the Bravos 0-7 road trip.

Padres 9, Brewers 0: Death by a thousand cuts: the Padres had seven straight singles in the fifth inning.  In fact, all 13 of the Padres hits in the game were singles, a good number of them which were chancey kind of things like the ball hitting off someone’s shoe and stuff.

Pirates 2, Dodgers 0: The Pirates score both of their runs when Matt
Kemp O-lays what should have been a single off the bat of Ryan Doumit
into a two-run “triple.” It’s a shame that Kemp would go from where he
was a year ago to
revert back to when the ball goes up in the air and you’re not sure
where it’s going, or if it’s going to get caught.

1. Moses Green - Apr 30, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Where’s that single digit IQ-type who was railing about small sample size and how Poor Matty Kemp doesn’t really stink that badly. Come shout some more about Kemp’s defense and sample sizes. Please. How many more games does he have to lose all by himself?

2. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 30, 2010 at 5:52 AM

Terrible play, Moses, I’ll grant you. But let’s not lose sight of the fact that the Dodgers were shut out by the absolute worst pitching staff in the game.

3. Paul C - Apr 30, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Hey Craig, do you believe in karma?
    2010 Braves = 2009 Mets………uh ohhhhh

4. Chris Simonds - Apr 30, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Willis, Liriano and Carmona have all looked pretty good this year. If they all somehow came back (from wherever they were the last couple of seasons) that would be a great thing.

5. jwb - Apr 30, 2010 at 7:29 AM

“Great Moments in Energy Conservation”
    I saw the same play in a Little League game yesterday evening while walking my dog. The batter froze, hoping it would go foul, the catcher pounced and tagged, and somebody wrote “2U” in a scorebook.

6. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Doesn’t like ‘em ’cause they’re not from around here. Craig, you remember that scene from Ghandi where he’s starving himself to end the riots and some guy comes in and says that he’s going to hell and Gandhi tells the guy, hey, I know a way out of hell: find a kid and raise him as your own, but be sure the kid is an Arizona Republican, and be sure you raise him as one?
    No Feesh follies last night. .500 is, after all, a sort of rest stop after struggling to remain above it. The Gnats swarm in tonight. The battle of the basement is engaged. Should be interesting.

7. Jonny5 - Apr 30, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Minor league games are a great place to bring the kids. Much, much less foul mouthed drunkards to deal with. And it’s what? 10 bucks a seat?
    Phills and Mutts tonight, I can hardly wait!!!! This should be a showdown.

8. Jonny5 - Apr 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM

That’s going to be a good game Gator, The Gnats are no pushovers. Then Strausburg will be coming up soon, it’ll be a fun division this season.

9. enough already - Apr 30, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Then there’s the fact that his son would clearly fit in well in the friendly confines of Citi Field. I can see it already: Chipper Jones steps up to the plate, puts down his walker, strikes out and Craig’s 18 year-old son gears “Larry! Larry!”

10. enough already - Apr 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM

eh, jeers.

11. Steve B - Apr 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM

No one ever spells Gandhi correctly ever.

12. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 9:31 AM

No excuses. My bad. I’m heading for my room already. And to make matters worse, I had fours years of Sanskrit in college. Really.

13. Moses Green - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Counterpoint granted. He also managed a single, and without Manny or Furcal that team is really bad.
    What really ground MY gears was the lackadaisical footwork on the play, you have to at least knock that ball down by getting in front of it. Really pathetic work by Kemp, it sure as heck looked lazy. It was almost Mannyesque.

14. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM

You think maybe what’s-her-name is wearing him out a bit? Or maybe they just haven’t reached the arc of her accustomed relationship trajectory where he starts slapping her around yet? That should be good for his adrenaline levels.

15. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

What’s happening is, the Gnats are playing over their heads at the moment and the Feesh are playing with their heads up their cloacas. So yes, I expect that it will be an interesting series, although probably not quite for the same reasons you think it will.
    If the Feesh loose this series, the Fat Freddy clock begins ticking a bit more loudly. If not for all those Led Zeppelin concerts I could probably make it out already.

16. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Ooops, my bad again. Not a good spelling day.
    Make that: “If the Feesh looze this series….”

17. Moses Green - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I think many outward signs with Matt Kemp point to the same warning: feeble-minded and lackadaisical. Fortunately for Brooklyn Dodger fans, his fast young player skill set indicates that he should hit for power as a sorry excuse for a leftfielder for years to come. Maybe he’ll even grow Manny-size dreadlocks and insist on people calling him Matty-being-Matty.

18. Will - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I thought the Dodgers were supposed to be good this year, and the Padres were supposed to stink. Everything’s all topsy-turvy.

19. Sam - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Your son sounds qualified to be the next Governor of Arizona

20. scatterbrian - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Wow, I know we disagreed the other day, but I wasn’t aware you took it personally.

21. APBA Guy - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM

The DL Train, as the Chron’s Susan Slusser calls it, has left the station for the A’s. No updates on the Duke of Hurl’s hip, but Kurt Suzuki went on the DL today, Brett Anderson went on yesterday, so pretty soon the rotation is going to look like last year’s, lots of AAA guys. And we all remember how much fun that was. This will make 4 consecutive years of DL use far above the major league norm for the A’s. Maybe Billy needs to factor in another variable in his evaluation equation: durability. How soon before Ben Sheets goes down?

22. scatterbrian - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Wait, they DLed Suzuki? I read he was still considered day-to-day.
    Duke looks like he’s headed as well. Someone could have made a lot of money if they bet that Chavez would not be one of the first five A’s to go on the DL this season, and probably retire off the winnings if the bet included Sheets too.

23. APBA Guy - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Here’s the link on Kurt:
    I’d forgotten about Chavez. That’s a great point you make. At least Chavez’ replacement (Cust) is in AAA already, just waiting for the inevitable. I suppose when Sheets goes down they’ll bring up Mazzaro.

24. scatterbrian - Apr 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Thanks for the link. I was stupidly consulting their official website.

25. Moses Green - May 1, 2010 at 5:50 AM

My bad – confused you with the nimrods I come here to slay. I apologize humbly, as your posts were reasonable and thoughtful.
    Moses Green made his second identity error of the week, having previously confused Tim Johnson for Kevin Kennedy. This time I don’t even have totally awesome moustaches to blame.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win