Apr 30, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
Longer version: did someone catch the plate of that truck that ran over Luke Hochevar (2.2 IP, 11 H, 9 ER, 2 BB, 1K)? Back-to-back triples for Jason Bartlett Carl Crawford in the five-run second inning. Crawford added two doubles and a single to fall a dinger short of the cycle. And then there was the Reid Brignac attack (2 for 5, 3 RBI).
But it wasn’t all offense. Matt Garza had great stuff last night, striking out nine Royals in six innings, and the bullpen — led by an impressive Joaquin Benoit — shut KC out for the final three frames.
Tampa Bay is 17-5. The season is less than a month old, but the Rays have a 2.5 game lead on the Yankees and the Red Sox are six games back in the rear view mirror.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)