Apr 30, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
Longer version: did someone catch the plate of that truck that ran over Luke Hochevar (2.2 IP, 11 H, 9 ER, 2 BB, 1K)? Back-to-back triples for Jason Bartlett Carl Crawford in the five-run second inning. Crawford added two doubles and a single to fall a dinger short of the cycle. And then there was the Reid Brignac attack (2 for 5, 3 RBI).
But it wasn’t all offense. Matt Garza had great stuff last night, striking out nine Royals in six innings, and the bullpen — led by an impressive Joaquin Benoit — shut KC out for the final three frames.
Tampa Bay is 17-5. The season is less than a month old, but the Rays have a 2.5 game lead on the Yankees and the Red Sox are six games back in the rear view mirror.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)