Apr 30, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
Brad Lidge came off the disabled list today, and as Aaron pointed out yesterday, there is an open question as to whether he jumps right back into his customary role as the Phillies’ mediocre closer or if, instead, Ryan Madson will retain the job of Phillies’ mediocre closer for the time being.
Or at least there was a question: MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports that Madson has been placed on the disabled list with a broken big toe* that he suffered after Wednesday’s game in San Francisco. Which he wouldn’t have been in in the first place if Brian Wilson hadn’t blown that save, so let’s just blame all this on Bruce Bochy, shall we?
Wait — he suffered the injury after Wednesday’s game? Yep! Which either means (a) somebody kicked something after blowing a save; or (b) Brad Lidge hired someone to go after Madson, Tonya Harding-style. Man, I really hope it’s (b). That would feed the maw of this blog for three months, easy. UPDATE: Madson kicked a chair. I guess there goes the dream of reporting on a juicy scandal.
Anyway, Antonio Bastardo gets called up to replace Madson on the roster. I think we can safely assume that Lidge is the man in the ninth inning now.
*Actually Zolecki says “great toe,” but I’m using the soda/pop rule of
grammar, which allows me to use phrases with which I feel more
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)