Apr 30, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
Brad Lidge came off the disabled list today, and as Aaron pointed out yesterday, there is an open question as to whether he jumps right back into his customary role as the Phillies’ mediocre closer or if, instead, Ryan Madson will retain the job of Phillies’ mediocre closer for the time being.
Or at least there was a question: MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports that Madson has been placed on the disabled list with a broken big toe* that he suffered after Wednesday’s game in San Francisco. Which he wouldn’t have been in in the first place if Brian Wilson hadn’t blown that save, so let’s just blame all this on Bruce Bochy, shall we?
Wait — he suffered the injury after Wednesday’s game? Yep! Which either means (a) somebody kicked something after blowing a save; or (b) Brad Lidge hired someone to go after Madson, Tonya Harding-style. Man, I really hope it’s (b). That would feed the maw of this blog for three months, easy. UPDATE: Madson kicked a chair. I guess there goes the dream of reporting on a juicy scandal.
Anyway, Antonio Bastardo gets called up to replace Madson on the roster. I think we can safely assume that Lidge is the man in the ninth inning now.
*Actually Zolecki says “great toe,” but I’m using the soda/pop rule of
grammar, which allows me to use phrases with which I feel more
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 13
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)