Apr 30, 2010, 3:11 PM EST
Brad Lidge came off the disabled list today, and as Aaron pointed out yesterday, there is an open question as to whether he jumps right back into his customary role as the Phillies’ mediocre closer or if, instead, Ryan Madson will retain the job of Phillies’ mediocre closer for the time being.
Or at least there was a question: MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports that Madson has been placed on the disabled list with a broken big toe* that he suffered after Wednesday’s game in San Francisco. Which he wouldn’t have been in in the first place if Brian Wilson hadn’t blown that save, so let’s just blame all this on Bruce Bochy, shall we?
Wait — he suffered the injury after Wednesday’s game? Yep! Which either means (a) somebody kicked something after blowing a save; or (b) Brad Lidge hired someone to go after Madson, Tonya Harding-style. Man, I really hope it’s (b). That would feed the maw of this blog for three months, easy. UPDATE: Madson kicked a chair. I guess there goes the dream of reporting on a juicy scandal.
Anyway, Antonio Bastardo gets called up to replace Madson on the roster. I think we can safely assume that Lidge is the man in the ninth inning now.
*Actually Zolecki says “great toe,” but I’m using the soda/pop rule of
grammar, which allows me to use phrases with which I feel more
- UPDATE: Giants believe Hunter Pence suffered broken left forearm on hit-by-pitch 1
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 7
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 136
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (136)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (88)