Ryan Madson goes on the DL with a broken toe after kicking a chair

Apr 30, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT

Big Toe.gifBrad Lidge came off the disabled list today, and as Aaron pointed out yesterday, there is an open question as to whether he jumps right back into his customary role as the Phillies’ mediocre closer or if, instead, Ryan Madson will retain the job of Phillies’ mediocre closer for the time being.

Or at least there was a question: MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reports that Madson has been placed on the disabled list with a broken big toe* that he suffered after Wednesday’s game in San Francisco. Which he wouldn’t have been in in the first place if Brian Wilson hadn’t blown that save, so let’s just blame all this on Bruce Bochy, shall we?

Wait — he suffered the injury after Wednesday’s game? Yep! Which either means (a) somebody kicked something after blowing a save; or (b) Brad Lidge hired someone to go after Madson, Tonya Harding-style.  Man, I really hope it’s (b). That would feed the maw of this blog for three months, easy.  UPDATE: Madson kicked a chair. I guess there goes the dream of reporting on a juicy scandal.

Anyway, Antonio Bastardo gets called up to replace Madson on the roster. I think we can safely assume that Lidge is the man in the ninth inning now.

*Actually Zolecki says “great toe,” but I’m using the soda/pop rule of
grammar, which allows me to use phrases with which I feel more
comfortable.

1. Jonny5 - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:30 PM

“Great toe” Isn’t that kinda demeaning to all the other equally important toes on the man’s foot? Where is Zolecki’s PC going? Down the tubes it seems. I have much fear in me at this point. I am now Praying for a 5 run lead at the top of the ninth. Not that Madson made me feel any better though… It’s time to put the Mutts in their place once and for all,that’d be 2nd for now.

2. Mark Smith - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Coke and pointer toe.

3. MikeZ - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM

“there is an open question as to whether he jumps right back into his customary role as the Phillies’ mediocre closer”
    Dont forget this “mediocre” closer was perfect in 2008. Has 195 regular season saves and 16 more in postseason play. So we will find out real soon if this is another mediocre season or one where he is unbeatable. If he has command of his fastball and can throw the slider in the dirt you can forget about your Braves staying close to the Phils in the NL East there Craig.

4. YankeesfanLen - Apr 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Have you ever hit a woman in the midrift with a pair of corsets on? I almost broke my great toe.

5. Chris Odell - Apr 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Yeah, MikeZ has a point: Lidge has been both a brilliant closer for the Phillies (2008) and a historically bad closer for the Phillies (2009). Only by averaging the two seasons is he a “mediocre” closer; in actual fact, he’s always great or terrible.

6. MikeZ - Apr 30, 2010 at 4:45 PM

He did basically the same thing in Houston, 2005 he racked up 42 saves plus 3 more in the postseason. 2006 he dropped down to 32 saves.
    If he is finally healthy he has a chance to get back to the role of an elite closer.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3000)