Apr 30, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Barry Zito is 3-0 with a 1.32 ERA and Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News wrote a lengthy article about the oft-criticized southpaw’s resurgence, noting that he’s gone from “the most sunken of sunk costs” to thinking about pitching until he’s Jamie Moyer’s age.
One great month after multiple hugely disappointing seasons obviously doesn’t mean a ton, but what’s interesting about Zito’s turnaround is that it actually dates back to last season. In fact, since last year’s All-Star break Zito has the sixth-best ERA in all of baseball among pitchers with at least 100 innings:
IP ERA Adam Wainwright 141 2.11 Zack Greinke 134 2.29 Tim Lincecum 133 2.30 Chris Carpenter 140 2.38 Felix Hernandez 150 2.39 BARRY ZITO 113 2.46 Roy Halladay 156 2.48 Ubaldo Jimenez 137 2.50
Pretty decent company, huh? Fan Graphs’ detailed pitch breakdowns show that Zito’s fastball velocity hasn’t improved any during his impressive run, but he’s throwing his fastball less often than ever before while simultaneously having more success than ever with his off-speed pitches.
Zito is among the few pitchers to throw his fastball less than 50 percent of the time–with Moyer not coincidentally being another one–which is certainly a sensible approach given that he works in the mid-80s most of the time and has been incredibly effective with both his curveball and slider of late. It remains to be seen if the all junk, all the time approach can keep working for Zito, but it’s been quite a turnaround after heading into last year’s All-Star break at 5-9 with a 5.01 ERA.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)