Apr 30, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Barry Zito is 3-0 with a 1.32 ERA and Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News wrote a lengthy article about the oft-criticized southpaw’s resurgence, noting that he’s gone from “the most sunken of sunk costs” to thinking about pitching until he’s Jamie Moyer’s age.
One great month after multiple hugely disappointing seasons obviously doesn’t mean a ton, but what’s interesting about Zito’s turnaround is that it actually dates back to last season. In fact, since last year’s All-Star break Zito has the sixth-best ERA in all of baseball among pitchers with at least 100 innings:
IP ERA Adam Wainwright 141 2.11 Zack Greinke 134 2.29 Tim Lincecum 133 2.30 Chris Carpenter 140 2.38 Felix Hernandez 150 2.39 BARRY ZITO 113 2.46 Roy Halladay 156 2.48 Ubaldo Jimenez 137 2.50
Pretty decent company, huh? Fan Graphs’ detailed pitch breakdowns show that Zito’s fastball velocity hasn’t improved any during his impressive run, but he’s throwing his fastball less often than ever before while simultaneously having more success than ever with his off-speed pitches.
Zito is among the few pitchers to throw his fastball less than 50 percent of the time–with Moyer not coincidentally being another one–which is certainly a sensible approach given that he works in the mid-80s most of the time and has been incredibly effective with both his curveball and slider of late. It remains to be seen if the all junk, all the time approach can keep working for Zito, but it’s been quite a turnaround after heading into last year’s All-Star break at 5-9 with a 5.01 ERA.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 10
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)