Jermaine Dye is unemployed for a reason

Apr 30, 2010, 11:21 AM EDT

Jermaine Dye headshot.jpgJoe Cowley wrote a story in the Sun-Times today about how the White Sox (or anyone) should give Jermaine Dye a contract. Quote of the article from Dye:

”I’m not going to a bad team, and I’m not playing for $1.5million,”
Dye said.

And people are suggesting that race has something to do with him being out of a job?  Man.

1. JBerardi - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM

That’s an odd way to announce your retirement.

2. Adam - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Dear Jermaine Dye: Good luck with ALL that…

3. Rusty Shackleford - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Dear Jermaine,
    Usually teams go bad when their highest paid players hit .179 in the second half of a season.
    You know, like you did last year.

4. Moses Green - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Again people, why hate on Dye? Good career, very rich, doesn’t want to move his family to play for a bad team for low money. Why is this bad??? Anyone?

5. raffy - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Its not bad that Dye feels this way. He is entitled to, and should do things the way he wants.
    But, it is sad when everyone else is then blamed for his being unemployed.
    Shame on Orlando Hudson.

6. Jason - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Moses, We don’t have a problem with Dye doing that, we have a problem with people blaming it on race.

7. tank74 - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM

$1.5 Million is low money!! Most of us would die to earn that much in 20 years!!

8. Moses Green - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Jason – I agree that it’s a problem that Orlando Hudson, not Jermaine Dye, Orlando Hudson said it was because of race. But read the comments, or go back and read the last batch. They’re mostly aimed at Dye, which is mindless. That’s all I’m saying.

9. Josh Fisher - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I’m with Moses. A good buddy of mine spoke with Jermaine several weeks ago…he’s quite happy spending time with his family. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to not go back to the grind unless it’s on his own terms.

10. scatterbrian - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM

“Ha-ha, well I ain’t paying no 50 cents for no Coke.”

11. APBA Guy - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Jermaine grew up in nearby Vacaville, a North Bay ville on I-80 between SF and Sacramento, not too far from Vallejo where CC Sabathia’s from.
    The local beat guys reiterate what Josh said above. He’s a family guy (lives in Scottsdale now) and is pretty happy doing what he’s doing. You could kind of see this coming last year. He had some extra around the middle that hadn’t been there before, was demonstrably slower in the field as a result, and it didn’t go away all year. Portrait of a guy whose motivation has evolved.

12. Wouter - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Good teams, of course, wouldn’t spend more than 1.5 million on Dye. Conundrum!
    captcha: to pasts. Ok, I’ll drink to that.

13. rnmwater - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Do you all remember a guy named Spreewell, he couldn’t feed his family on 5.5 Million per year. How many games did he play after that comment? And I would hardly say the NBA is against hiring African Americans.

14. Joey B - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I don’t blame the guy. As long as certain people understand that it his decision and not mine.

15. rnmwater - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM

BTW this article has nothing to do with what it will take for Jermaine to play this year. It’s about Orlando Hudsons comments about racism in MLB. Dye is happy staying home with the Kids good for him just put a muzzle on the O-Dog.

16. Stevo - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Since when does race mean anything to The Whore Pro Teams! If they win & make $$$ that’s what it is all about. Milton Bradley is still employed, case in point!

17. scatterbrian - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Dude’s broke now too. Evidently, when he was saying he couldn’t feed his family, it was really a euphemism for making payments for his mansion, yacht and rim business.
    captcha: meet misnomer

18. Luke Bean - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

‘well then you don’t get no coke!’

19. Khaos - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Um, that’s really not that much over 20 years, so, no I wouldn’t “die” for that.

20. al - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Jim Thome, a gentleman and future hall-of-famer, seems very happy with his 1.5 million dollar contract with the Twins.

21. Jon - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I had a freelance job offer many years ago to do tech work for a theatre company I’d done some previous work for. I told the producer that I’d do it except….and I laid out a number of terms regarding things I would and would not put up with (in the real world, theater people are crazy and you’ve just got to grin and bear it). After hearing me out the producer said “if you really don’t want to do this work, why don’t you just say so”. I was so ticked off at him as he walked away. Years later I realized that he was absolutely right. I didn’t want the gig but wasn’t quite ready to say no.
    That’s how this sounds to me, except for the Hudson crap.

22. faggycraigyisasphincterlicker... - Apr 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM

please, why does this idiot writer think he can sphinctlick with the best of them?

23. YankeesfnaLen - Apr 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Oh, no- c’mon man is back!

24. Ron - Apr 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Since when, and in what world, has $1.5 mil been considered “low” money?
    I don’t know what kind of world you live in, but where I come from, a statement like that would be considered greedy and arrogant.

25. Leeeeeeeeeeee - Apr 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Jermaine: Take the money, play well, get traded to a contender before the deadline in July. There, and I won’t even charge you my usual 40%.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS