Apr 30, 2010, 3:52 PM EDT
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., on criticism of the Ryan Howard contract extension:
The sabermetricians are welcome to have their opinions about our business. However, I choose to ignore their opinions.
Fair enough. However, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes: “Amaro is getting criticized for the Howard deal not just by sabermetricians, but also by rival executives.” And of course there are plenty of “sabermetricians” who are also “rival executives.”
Plus, hard as it may be for some to believe, sabermetricians aren’t the only folks who think committing $25 million per season to Howard through age 36 is a mistake.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)