Apr 30, 2010, 3:52 PM EDT
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., on criticism of the Ryan Howard contract extension:
The sabermetricians are welcome to have their opinions about our business. However, I choose to ignore their opinions.
Fair enough. However, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes: “Amaro is getting criticized for the Howard deal not just by sabermetricians, but also by rival executives.” And of course there are plenty of “sabermetricians” who are also “rival executives.”
Plus, hard as it may be for some to believe, sabermetricians aren’t the only folks who think committing $25 million per season to Howard through age 36 is a mistake.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?