Apr 30, 2010, 3:52 PM EST
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., on criticism of the Ryan Howard contract extension:
The sabermetricians are welcome to have their opinions about our business. However, I choose to ignore their opinions.
Fair enough. However, as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com notes: “Amaro is getting criticized for the Howard deal not just by sabermetricians, but also by rival executives.” And of course there are plenty of “sabermetricians” who are also “rival executives.”
Plus, hard as it may be for some to believe, sabermetricians aren’t the only folks who think committing $25 million per season to Howard through age 36 is a mistake.
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 0
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (124)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)