Apr 30, 2010, 4:46 PM EST
Earlier this week I wondered if Tanner Scheppers could be close to joining Neftali Feliz and Frank Francisco as late-inning options in Texas’ bullpen.
He’s one step closer this afternoon, as the Rangers promoted him from Double-A to Triple-A after the 23-year-old right-hander posted a 0.82 ERA, .079 opponents’ batting average, and 19/0 K/BB ratio in 11 ridiculously dominant innings.
Assuming he continues to toy with Triple-A hitters, my guess is that we’ll see Scheppers setting up Feliz (or Francisco) in Texas by July. Last season the Rangers waited until August to call up Feliz, but he was two years younger than Scheppers is now and perhaps needed some extra time to make the transition from starter to reliever. Scheppers is being groomed as a reliever and it’s tough to see the Rangers letting him blow away the Pacific Coast League for long.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)