Apr 30, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Earlier this week I wondered if Tanner Scheppers could be close to joining Neftali Feliz and Frank Francisco as late-inning options in Texas’ bullpen.
He’s one step closer this afternoon, as the Rangers promoted him from Double-A to Triple-A after the 23-year-old right-hander posted a 0.82 ERA, .079 opponents’ batting average, and 19/0 K/BB ratio in 11 ridiculously dominant innings.
Assuming he continues to toy with Triple-A hitters, my guess is that we’ll see Scheppers setting up Feliz (or Francisco) in Texas by July. Last season the Rangers waited until August to call up Feliz, but he was two years younger than Scheppers is now and perhaps needed some extra time to make the transition from starter to reliever. Scheppers is being groomed as a reliever and it’s tough to see the Rangers letting him blow away the Pacific Coast League for long.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (152)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)