Apr 30, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Victor Martinez has tried to improve his woeful throwing numbers by participating in twice-daily workout sessions with catching instructor Gary Tuck.
Tuck praised Martinez’s work ethic while adding that “he came over here with some really bad habits” and “you can’t break them overnight.” I’d be interested to hear the Indians’ response to that, since Tuck is basically saying Cleveland has a terrible coaching staff that hindered Martinez’s development defensively.
However, his throw-out percentage during eight seasons with the Indians was actually decent at 24.5 percent, especially compared to his abysmal rate of 8.3 percent since joining the Red Sox in the middle of last year.
Rather than bad habits, what really seems to have destroyed Martinez’s ability to control the running game is elbow surgery in 2008, because as Bradford notes since returning from that he’s gunned down just 9-of-92 steal attempts. Whatever the case, Martinez finding a way to go from horrendous to merely bad throwing out runners may determine whether the Red Sox make a significant effort to re-sign the impending free agent.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)