Apr 30, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Victor Martinez has tried to improve his woeful throwing numbers by participating in twice-daily workout sessions with catching instructor Gary Tuck.
Tuck praised Martinez’s work ethic while adding that “he came over here with some really bad habits” and “you can’t break them overnight.” I’d be interested to hear the Indians’ response to that, since Tuck is basically saying Cleveland has a terrible coaching staff that hindered Martinez’s development defensively.
However, his throw-out percentage during eight seasons with the Indians was actually decent at 24.5 percent, especially compared to his abysmal rate of 8.3 percent since joining the Red Sox in the middle of last year.
Rather than bad habits, what really seems to have destroyed Martinez’s ability to control the running game is elbow surgery in 2008, because as Bradford notes since returning from that he’s gunned down just 9-of-92 steal attempts. Whatever the case, Martinez finding a way to go from horrendous to merely bad throwing out runners may determine whether the Red Sox make a significant effort to re-sign the impending free agent.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)