Apr 30, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
I’ll bore you with one more story about my trip with the kids to the Columbus Clippers-Charlotte Knights game last night.
Shelley Duncan’s name is announced as he comes to bat for Columbus. Anna, my six year-old daughter, hears this and giggles a bit that a man is named Shelley. I tell her that Shelley can be a man’s name too. She nods, but I can tell that she’s not letting this one go. The subsequent conversation:
Anna: Why would his mommy and daddy name him Shelley?
Me: I told you, it’s a boy’s name too. [trying to change the subject]: Hey Anna, I actually met Shelley Duncan’s daddy once.
Anna [surprised and impressed, because she believes baseball players are impossibly famous and therefore unapproachable]: Really? Where?
Me: When I went on my trip to Florida last month. His daddy is a coach for another baseball team and I talked to him.
Anna: [still impressed] How did you talk to him?
Me: [thinking I'm impressing my daughter even more than I am] They let the baseball writers in the locker room after the game and we get to talk to the players and coaches. He was in the locker room after a game I went to.
Anna: What do they do in the locker room?
Me: [not paying close attention to where this is heading] It’s where the players take a shower and change out of their baseball uniforms after the game before they go home.
Anna: [thinking hard about this, and then breaking out into a mischievous smile]: Did you see Shelley Duncan’s daddy with no pants on?
Me: [sudden realization that, yes, I actually did see Dave Duncan with no pants on, and that I was actually talking to him as he was getting dressed. Think fast, Craig!]: Um, I don’t remember.
Anna: YOU SAW SHELLEY DUNCAN’S DADDY’S UNDERPANTS! YOU SAW SHELLEY DUNCAN’S DADDY’S UNDERPANTS! [followed by uncontrollable laughter].
The subject was finally changed with cotton candy. Multiple innings go by and I figured it was dropped for the night. I was wrong.
It was getting late, I had tired kids, so we left the game in the top of the eighth. As we’re leaving, we walked down a sidewalk that follows along the outfield wall with little places to look-in and watch the game for free. Anna stops as she sees Shelley Duncan in right field, just a couple dozen yards from where we were standing.
Anna: Hey Shelley Duncan! My daddy saw your daddy in his underpants! [followed by giggling the entire drive home].
I have no idea if Duncan heard this. I desperately hope that he did not.
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)