The Nats aren't worried about Bryce Harper's attitude

Apr 30, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT

Last week reports swirled that Bryce Harper was a no-goodnik. The Nats? They’re not worried:

A high-ranking club official said a recent report slamming the 17 year-old catcher for having attitude issues was “way overblown” and the Nats have no qualms about
selecting him first overall in the June draft based on personality
traits.

“Is he confident? Yeah,” the team official said. “Is he
cocky? Yeah. Does he think he’s the best player on the field at all
times? Yeah. But find me a great player who doesn’t think that about
himself.”

A wise man once said that young players should be cocky and arrogant, even when they’re getting beat. That they gotta play this game with fear and arrogance. Perhaps that’s all we’re seeing from Bryce Harper.

1. lar @ wezen-ball - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM

“Fear and ignorance.” Got it.

2. RH - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but why will the Nationals have the first overall pick? I don’t see them having the worst overall record this year.

3. Jon - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:06 AM

“Fear and ignorance.”

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:16 AM

The draft is in June and it’s based on 2009′s record.

5. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Ganging up on a seventeen year old kid. Just great. Journalism reaches a new low after having already hit bottom years ago. If my daughter ever marries a sportswriter, I’m going to sue her for every cent I spent on her upbringing.

6. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Apr 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Cuts both ways, Gator. You can’t have the fawning, typed-with-one-hand stories AND the ones that point out that this kid may be less than perfect. A comment like that reminds me all too well of the parents that would call me and b!tch about why THEIR kid wasn’t written about in the paper.

7. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Missing a “not” after AND
    captcha “bratties Posts.” (wait a minute)

8. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM

They called you to bitch that you didn’t write about their kids? Dancing dharmapalas, what were you, the day editor of the little league desk at the Dacron Republican-Democrat?
    Incidentally – I can’t stand the fawning articles either. I hate the way reporters are always kissing Milton Bradley’s nates.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5131)