Apr 30, 2010, 10:45 AM EST
The San Francisco Giants may join the bidding for the NBA’s Golden State Warriors. The California iteration of the franchise is 48 years-old, so it makes sense that the organization that employs Brian Sabean would be interested. Heck, if the deal goes through he’s likely to play the entire basketball team at second base and have it bat leadoff.
The real reason for the potential investment: there’s talk of an arena near AT&T Park which the Giants could develop and operate, luring the team across the Bay from Oakland to San Francisco. At the same time, the team would like to realize financial synergies via its partial ownership of the regional sports network that broadcasts Warriors games.
Which kind of puts the whole Oakland A’s-San Jose thing in perspective. The Giants have the money to literally buy other sports franchises, build arenas, become landlords and exploit the property via favorable broadcasting deals. Meanwhile, they’re threatening legal action and demanding tribute from Major League Baseball due to the mere possibility that the Athletics — one of the rinky-dinkiest operations in professional sports — might set up shop 50 miles to the south of them.
Hard to have any sympathy for them, really.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)