U2 is messing with the baseball schedule

Apr 30, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT

Bono.jpgI’m sure Bono didn’t mean to bug ya, but he’s doing it all the same:

Don’t know whether or not Bono favors the designated hitter rule, but
based on U2′s summer concert tour, they’re definitely American
Leaguers.

The band is playing Angels Stadium
(June 6-7), the Oakland Coliseum (June 16) and Toronto’s Rogers Center
(July 3) before, finally, landing in NL Florida’s Landshark Stadium (or
whatever they’re calling it now, on July 9). And it wreaked havoc with the 2010 schedule.

The reason it’s wreaking havoc: U2 needs a park for 10 days to simply build and tear-down the stage setup for a single night’s concert. As a result, the Angels have a fourteen-game road trip in their future come June.

All of which would be fine if U2 was any good anymore, but ever since they decided that nostalgia was more important than being interesting [cough!] “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” [cough!] they’ve been adrift on a sea of awfulness. I mean, “Pop” was no great shakes, but at least they were trying something.

Where was I? Oh yeah, baseball.

This is not unprecedented of course. As the linked article notes, the Astros went on the road for a month in 1992 when the Republican National Convention was held in the Astrodome. That was a 26-game road trip, during which the Astros went 12-14.

But the 1992 Astros weren’t exactly contenders like the Angels are. They finished the year 17 games out, and even if you’re generous to the point of ridiculousness, you can’t pin anything that happened to the baseball team on the convention apart from annoyance.

If the Angels finish a game or two out of the money this year, though, fans have my permission to burn copies of “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” in the streets.

That is, if they hadn’t done so already on general principle.

1. APBA Guy - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Of course, when 60,000 people show up at the Mausoleum to see U2 the fact that the A’s won’t have been there for two weeks will be completely unnoticed. Which is unfortunate, since the ball starts to carry in mid-June. And the A’s need the power boost.

2. Mike - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM

But…. But Rolling Stone gave How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 4 stars. It must be good.

3. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

That these clowns need ten days to set up a stage is a pretty good indication of how far mindless, empty spectacle has gone in usurping music per se. Buddha forbid that they just get up there and play something. Maybe it’s just that their music can’t carry the show by itself. Not surprising in an age when every kitsch-ridden and decerebrated episode of American Idol qualifies as a news event.

4. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM

60,000 at the “Mausoleum”? That’s more than show up for a Raiduhs game!
    Getting back to the subject–I once went to a Don Henley concert, at which he spent interminable amounts of time between songs lecturing the crowd on how evil those in power are and how much better the world would be if we concert-goers simply did whatever he told us. I can foresee Bono doing five-minute songs with 10-minute lectures in between. PASS.

5. Jonny5 - Apr 30, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Bono save the world? By screwing up Baseball? I don’t think so. I think he’s stupid, with that stupid name, stupid glasses to cover his eyes at all times (I think he’s the Morlock leader myself). Well at least he is trying to do some good with the world, that’s more than I can say for myself. Hey, the Feesh’s stadium won’t know how to act with all that traffic, that’s for sure.

6. BC - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM

It’s “Rogers Centre”, not “Center”. Just wanted to make sure no Canadians took oa-fense to your article.

7. carlos - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I finally got through one of Old Gator’s posts without either giving up, or being completely confused. Good day!

8. scatterbrian - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:12 PM

“And the A’s need the power boost.”
    That problem was solved when they called up Matt Carson.
    RE the Angels, that road trip is four in Seattle, thee in KC, four in Oakland and three against the Dodgers. Mostly West Coast, some very close to home. They shouldn’t be too affected.

9. bisonaudit - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:19 PM

As someone who’s actually seen the show. I can assure you that it it is none of those things. I saw the show in DC and Bono kept the speachifying to a minimum there so you’re probably going to be fine 2,000 miles west.
    If, like Craig, you think that they’ve grown a bit tired, I’m not in a position to argue. But I will say this. The music isn’t the only “art” that is being produced at these shows. And by “art” I don’t just mean spectacle, I mean “art.” There’s plenty of eye candy but it’s not solely eye candy, the presentation is layered you can do as deap or stay as shallow as you like.
    Personally, I don’t mind a little opinion from my pop stars. And I don’t much care where they come down, just have something to say. It’s a lot more interesting than whoever’s midrift is flatter this month.
    trendy seein

10. APBA Guy - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Now that was funny!

11. Jack - Apr 30, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Thank God U2 is messing with the baseball schedule…because nothing is more boring than baseball 162 games of a crap sport that ends up taking forever just to play one single game.
    Now when U2 was on tour and played stadiums last year in the fall of 2009 and messed with the NFL football schedule,that was troubling because unlike baseball,football is actually a legitimate sport..only 16 games and the games don’t take all year to play
    Nice shot at U2 Craig …you’re an idiot becuase the last U2 album was No Line On The Horizon (2009) which was their best album in a decade….How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was released in 2005..get with the program….U2 isn’t the Rolling Stones they actually release a new album every 4 years and open their concerts with up to 4 or 5 songs from their most recent album and still they pack out stadiums..so your theory doesn’t wash

12. Eric Cioe - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Peter Gabriel does really extravagant stage shows even now and I would argue that they are an essential part of his concert experience, just like costumes, sets, and lighting are essential for a good Wagner production. You go see Parsifal with a stage too bright, a set too distracting, and the whole thing is ruined.
    U2 is a four chord rock band that hasn’t put out anything original in two decades fronted by a guy who can’t sing live and is the epitome of a fifty-some douchebag. Fireworks and all that jazz can’t hide a bunch of bad musicians playing mostly bad music. And yeah, I’ve heard their new album, and it’s got one worthwhile song on it, and it’s only worthwhile because it references James Joyce.

13. Oggmonster - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM

That magazine cover made me projectile vomit all over myself. Thanks a lot Bono, you enormous tool.

14. bisonaudit - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM

If you don’t enjoy what they do. Save yourself $500 and stay home.
    Ditto to anyone who’d rather not put up with what little social commentary Bono may offer. On the one hand you have a perfect right to express your opinion (as does he), on the other… what did you expect when you bought the ticket?
    If you want to attend an event for the express purpose of expressing our outrage at what you are witnessing… Move to Philadelphia.
    In elope

15. YankeesfanLen - Apr 30, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I guess this big-buck concert tour will go on with or without you.

16. Jeremy - Apr 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I’m not sure I like it, but “No Line on the Horizon” is absolutely not a nostalgia trip. It’s as much a departure from their regular stuff as Pop was – perhaps more. Borrow it from a friend and see if it’s your thing.

17. maz - Apr 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Pathetic time cover. Boner and U2 are just horrendous. He likes to act like he is Christ reborn, when all he is is a greedy P.O.S.

18. thepelosi - Apr 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

loved bono in south park…. it was his most sincere role to date.

19. baseball is boring - May 1, 2010 at 6:11 AM

WAHHHH baseball games have to move boo hoo hoo atleast Bono and group spend a lot of money on charitable organizations while baseball players whine and cry about making only 20 mil a year and then threaten to strike let’s not forget that they evidently can’t play without doping themselves up either Let’s get real these people hit a ball and run around a base

20. Old Gator - May 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM

“And yeah, I’ve heard their new album, and it’s got one worthwhile song on it, and it’s only worthwhile because it references James Joyce.”
    Really? I love Joyce! I’m gonna run right out and buy this one. You may ask, is one oblique, obscure yet trendy reference worth the money, the time, the venturing out on a rainy overcast Macondo morning? Yes, I said, yes I will, yes. Anyway I’m really burned out on “Rejoyce” from After Bathing at Baxter’s. It’s forty two years old already. Even the CD version skips.

21. gnmmet - May 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM

These teams choose to give up their ballparks for weeks. Even if Bono really is the egotistical maniac he is made out to be he can’t force a team involuntarily out of their own ballpark. They did this to themselves.

Three legends off to Cooperstown