Columnist boycotting ESPN's baseball coverage

May 1, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT

Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle dedicated a blog post this afternoon to bashing ESPN’s New York-heavy baseball coverage.  As Schulman notes, the Mets will appear on “Sunday Night Baseball” tomorrow night for the third consecutive week and they’re on again for a May 23 matchup with the Yankees.

In response to the New York love, Schulman, a writer for most things San Francisco, is boycotting Sunday night’s game.  So, check out his post.  Support the cause.  You know, if you’re a mid-market baseball fan into complaining about the sport’s national coverage.

To be honest, it seems like a tired argument.  ESPN wants ratings, and a game between the Giants and Rockies simply won’t bring the same kind of numbers of a Mets or Yankees game.  With cable, satellite and MLB.tv, it’s easier than ever to follow your favorite team.  Why not just do what us smart baseball fans do and ignore the World Wide Leader altogether?  MLB Network at least shows highlights.

1. Luke Larson - May 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM

good advice. us hockey fans have been getting along fine without any acknowledgement from espn for years.

2. Tom - May 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Not to whine or nothing, but it really ticks this West Coast Mets fan off when ESPN and Fox pick their games up. It means I can’t watch the Mets on MLB.TV because of exclusive broadcasting rights even if the game isn’t being broadcast locally (FOX) and I don’t have cable or satellite (ESPN).
    MLB.TV really needs to pick it up a bit on this problem. It really reduces the number of games you can watch on weekends, when most people actually have the time.

3. Levi Stahl - May 1, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I was just saying to my seatmate at the Cubs game today how much MLB TV has improved my baseball-watching life. I only ever turn ESPN on these days to see specific games–Sunday night, the Cardinals. I haven’t slogged through Baseball Tonight since Opening Day of 2009, and I don’t feel like I’ve missed a thing.

4. Anon - May 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I guess SF isn’t NY. But calling it “mid-market” is a stretch, at best.

5. erik - May 1, 2010 at 7:53 PM

it’s not easy to follow your favorite team when you live in a blackout restricted area, but I’m probably in the minority.

6. davidc45629 - May 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Other than pot boy who else on SF is watchable? I’m now boycotting SF.

7. APBA Guy - May 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Three weeks of the Mets is too much. They could have thrown a Boston game in there, if the rotation is only going to revolve around three teams: the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox.
    Early in the season you are more likely to see these NE teams until the races define themselves. Still, I doubt you’ll see a crucial Texas vs. Tampa interdivisional game at any point.

8. Simon DelMonte - May 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don’t get why ESPN has a team that finished so badly last year scheduled that much, either. Especially when that other NY team won the World Series.
    Not that I, as a Mets fan without cable, am complaining, since the game is streamed over the internet. And not that this is not a good game to be showing, with the Mets playing better and Santana pitching.

9. Mike Canter - May 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I stopped watching ESPN a while back, canceled my magazine subscription 5 years ago and I never go to their website. In addition to being biased to New York (LeBron withstanding) most articles require you be a premium subscriber. There is much better television, print and web-related content that ESPN is simply unnecessary.

10. Jack Meoffer - May 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I’m boycotting ESPN until they show a Sunday night game with the Washington Nationals and Florida Marlins.

11. Old Gator - May 2, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Just do what Jack Nicholson did in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – sit in front of your blank TV screen and make the game up as you go along. I do that all the time when the Feesh are playing so badly that it hurts to watch a real game (so Pirates fans, here’s some possible relief for you folks as well). It works even better if you’ve got some suds on ice and a bowl of peanuts or pretzels on the table.

12. Boo Hoo Florio picked on your team - GET OVER IT - May 2, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Hey Henry, it could be worse.
    We could be stuck watching New England teams all year if ESPN had their way.
    Why Bill Simmons hasn’t been tarred and feathered and run out of town, I’ll never know.

13. metthunder - May 2, 2010 at 9:26 AM

here’s a surprise, the Mets fans aren’t that crazy about having their team on ESPN. Who wants to hear their team get bashed for 3 hours by Morgan and Miller who wonders when “Beltron” is coming back. And I always mute them and put on Howie Rose/WFAN radio.

14. GimmeSomeSteel - May 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I’m not watching Sunday Night Baseball until at least one of the following happens–Joe Morgan off or two teams west of the Alleghenies or south of the Potomac on.
    I’m sure ESPN won’t notice or care either way.

15. buck foston - May 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM

really? their pro-ny coverage. espn is anything but pro-ny. as mentioned in the article, for them it’s about ratings. espn is the most pro-boston sports outlet in the country. it sickens me to watch yankees games on this sham of a network. fortunately, living in the yankees home market, i get to watch many of espn’s nationally televised games on YES network instead. viva los yankees!

16. NNYYF (Not New York Yankee Fan) - May 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM

ESPN fails to realize that the Yankees already have their own network (YES). They really don’t need YSPN. And Nationally what we get If we don’t have extra innings is the Red Fox network. Time for YSPN and Sox to realize there is a larger market than the Yankees and Red Sox. It’s the Not Yankees and the Not Red Sox market. Give the rest of the country a game now and then.

17. Moses Green - May 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Henry Who?? Never heard of him, don’t care.

18. Edwardssdfhdf - May 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company.
    Here, there’s good news to tell you: The company recently
    launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionable
    and welcome everyone to come buy. If necessary, please
    input:
    Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16
    New era cap $15
    Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33
    Handbags(Coach,ed hardy,lv,d&g) $35
    Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30
    Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini)$16
    Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25

19. wxwax - May 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Mid-market?
    [B][I]Are you insane?[/B][/I]
    The San Francisco Bay Area is the nation’s fourth largest media market.
    Mid-market my as$.

20. wxwax - May 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Mid-market?
    [B][I]Are you insane?[/B][/I]
    The San Francisco Bay Area is the nation’s fourth largest media market.
    Mid-market my as$.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline