May 1, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle dedicated a blog post this afternoon to bashing ESPN’s New York-heavy baseball coverage. As Schulman notes, the Mets will appear on “Sunday Night Baseball” tomorrow night for the third consecutive week and they’re on again for a May 23 matchup with the Yankees.
In response to the New York love, Schulman, a writer for most things San Francisco, is boycotting Sunday night’s game. So, check out his post. Support the cause. You know, if you’re a mid-market baseball fan into complaining about the sport’s national coverage.
To be honest, it seems like a tired argument. ESPN wants ratings, and a game between the Giants and Rockies simply won’t bring the same kind of numbers of a Mets or Yankees game. With cable, satellite and MLB.tv, it’s easier than ever to follow your favorite team. Why not just do what us smart baseball fans do and ignore the World Wide Leader altogether? MLB Network at least shows highlights.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 17
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 4
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 62
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games