May 1, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will make his final Double-A start tomorrow, with a Nationals source telling MLB.com’s Bill Ladson that the 21-year-old phenom will be promoted to Triple-A following the game.
Strasburg has more than earned the promotion by absolutely toying with Double-A hitters, going 3-0 with a 0.52 ERA, .115 opponents’ batting average, and 23/3 K/BB ratio in four starts. He’ll be pitted against a few more veterans in the International League, but as general manager Mike Rizzo admitted earlier this week Triple-A is ultimately little more than a holding pen until the Nationals are ready to call him up.
As he progresses, he’s going to go to [Triple-A] Syracuse and is going to pitch there until we deem he is ready to go to the next level. It’s reasonable to assume he is going to be in Syracuse sometime soon. He is doing everything we thought he would do and more. He seems to get better and better and stronger and stronger each start.
With the Nationals surprisingly above .500 and Strasburg’s service time nearly suppressed long enough to delay free agency, he seems likely to spend just a month or so at Triple-A. He’ll be limited to about 85 pitches in his final Double-A outing tomorrow, so stretching him out to 100-plus pitches at Triple-A will be one of the final steps before the Strasburg era begins in Washington.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)