May 1, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will make his final Double-A start tomorrow, with a Nationals source telling MLB.com’s Bill Ladson that the 21-year-old phenom will be promoted to Triple-A following the game.
Strasburg has more than earned the promotion by absolutely toying with Double-A hitters, going 3-0 with a 0.52 ERA, .115 opponents’ batting average, and 23/3 K/BB ratio in four starts. He’ll be pitted against a few more veterans in the International League, but as general manager Mike Rizzo admitted earlier this week Triple-A is ultimately little more than a holding pen until the Nationals are ready to call him up.
As he progresses, he’s going to go to [Triple-A] Syracuse and is going to pitch there until we deem he is ready to go to the next level. It’s reasonable to assume he is going to be in Syracuse sometime soon. He is doing everything we thought he would do and more. He seems to get better and better and stronger and stronger each start.
With the Nationals surprisingly above .500 and Strasburg’s service time nearly suppressed long enough to delay free agency, he seems likely to spend just a month or so at Triple-A. He’ll be limited to about 85 pitches in his final Double-A outing tomorrow, so stretching him out to 100-plus pitches at Triple-A will be one of the final steps before the Strasburg era begins in Washington.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 18
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 81
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 6
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (82)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)