The Braves snap the skid behind Hanson, Heyward

May 1, 2010, 8:46 AM EDT

Tommy Hanson 2.jpgThe Braves snapped their nine-game losing streak behind a two-run homer from Jason Heyward in the third and eight strong innings from Tommy Hanson.  But Heyward and Hanson are good and we knew that. The real relief is that Nate McLouth hit a homer, establishing that, contrary to all previous indications, he was not spending the year dead for tax purposes.

Hanson allowed two runs on four hits and struck out seven.  He hasn’t allowed more than two runs in
each of his first five starts and has a 2.17 ERA. This was his longest outing of the year, however, and it was nice to see him going after batters.

Heyward was robbed of another homer by Hunter Pence. Amazing play, the video of which you can see here.  After the catch Heyward tipped his batting helmet to the Astros’ right fielder.

1. YankeesfanLen - May 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM

“After the catch Heyward tipped his batting helmet to the Astros’ right fielder” What an ARodian gesture.
    Seriously, somehow we seem to have some kind of competitive balance in the ol’ NL East. When I awake to find the Gnats in second place to the Metropolitans one begins to wonder what forces are in play. Is it Feelies year for heartbreak.
    I’ll stay tuned in the knowledge that every Braves miscue and triumph will be revealed on these pages.
    That Jeter will do anything in a contract year, what does he think Hal is made of money?

2. Chris Simonds - May 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Heyward only went 1 for 4, but he nearly had another homer. Hunter Pence made a great grab. A lot of parks, it would have been four or five rows deep in the seats. So maybe Bobby cox was right, about Heyward needing to be more aggressive. The old man has seen a lot of baseball, including a lot of rookies who have to find the right balance of approaches. I guess the question to ask is whether there is any record of Cox telling Jeff Francoeur, early in his career, that he should swing at more pitches. If that happened, take back all I said.

3. Old Gator - May 1, 2010 at 9:40 AM

These days I’d say what we have is an uncompetitive balance. What with the Feesh playing like a school of suicidal pilot whales and the ticking of the Fat Freddy termination clock getting louder by the moment like some Hollywood hack remake of “The Telltale Heart,” the Gnats pasting Ricky Nolasco for five earned runs, the Feesh boolpen giving up its usual two run bonus and the defense continuing to suck like a shop vac (two more blunders afield last night, although they were for entertainment only and didn’t figure in the scoring for a change), the Feelies sputtering early, the Mutts playing like Charlie Manuel sold their souls to Louis Cyphier and of course the Braves swinging at the air like a bunch of blinded refugees from The Day of the Triffids, everything about the NL Least is feeling pretty inverted these days.
    Everything looks so orderly in the AL East by comparison. It’s like looking across the street through the window of an EconoLodge into one of the business suites at a Ritz Carlton. The Rays are playing not so much over their heads as up to potential, I think, and that division looks very much now like I thin it’s going to look in September, with the Borg rediscovering itself just in time to do serious fall damage as the wild card entry. I know it’s not in character for the Borg to second guess itself but you have to wonder what they’re thinking these days about blowing off Gojira like that.
    Incidentally, I want to announce an impending moment of rank hypocrisy. My lawyer got teeckets to the Wednesday Feesh game vs. the Brobdingnagians, with Teem Leencecum projected to peetch against, may Buddha be merciful, Nate Robertson. I know I have sworn not to go to any games other than Opening Day this year to protest Scrooge McLoria’s thrift shop payroll policies, but hey, I ain’t payin’, I’m bringing my own smoked turkey club sandwich with applewood smoked bacon and McLoria don’t get my parking money so what the hell. For the time being anyway, it beats driving to St. Petersburg to watch a designatedhitterball game in the Tropicana Tumulus. ‘Course if the Feesh continue playing like a sandlot team out of Peanuts, the drive may look a lot more attractive by the end of the month.

4. SouthofHeaven - May 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM

That other Heyward shot was a monster, definitely would have been out of there in a lot of parks.
    This is off-topic, but can somebody explain to me why it’s a huge deal when Derek Jeter breaks the made-up Most Hits as a Yankee record, but not a big deal when he becomes the player with the most hits of any player currently active (which he took last night from Griffey)? I personally think that’s way more impressive.

5. YankeesfanLen - May 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM

The Universe has it’s own set of record books. The other ones don’t count.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3931)