They teach them young in Philly

May 1, 2010, 9:22 AM EDT

Francoeur Barajas.jpgHighlight of the night as far as I’m concerned: A Philadelphia father helps his baby daughter throw the ball back onto the field after a Rod Barajas home run in the Mets-Phillies game.  As someone who is raising a taunting young girl himself, he’s a man after my own heart.

People like to rip Phillies fans for their attitude, but you gotta give them credit for their passion.

And speaking of passion and/or attitude, you all may think I try to needle opposing fans, but check out what the New York Daily News’ Kevin Deutsch did yesterday:

Risking life and limb, I marched into Citizens Bank Park wearing Mets regalia Friday and loudly chanted the three words that drive every Phillies fan insane: “LET’S GO METS.”

I repeated the time-honored refrain all over the ballpark and at some of the city’s best-known landmarks, drawing boos, threats, curses and taunts wherever I turned.

I’m sure some people will have a problem with a reporter gettin’ into it like that, but I think it’s great fun.  Call out the media if they get the facts wrong or distort things in dishonest way. But stirring things up can be great fun sometimes. It’s sports. It ain’t national defense policy. Why not get some kicks out of it?

And oh yeah: the Mets Rod Barajas homered twice, Jonathon Niese shut down the Phillies’ lineup and New York beat Philadelphia 9-1 for the Mets’ eighth straight victory.

The NL East is gonna be a hoot this year.

1. Old Gator - May 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Gonna be a hoot? What would you call it now?
    I have to feel good for my pal BC. No one should be asked to suffer the way he did this past offseason, except maybe Republicans in general, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and the executive board of Goldman-Sachs. But ain’t it’s great to wake up with the right kind of hangover for a change?
    Sadly, I think the NL Least will reorganize itself pretty drastically by the time the season trundles to a close. It’s still great fun to watch it now, though.

2. Terry - May 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Craig, I know and understand your distain for Jeff Francouer, seeing as he was a thorn in your side for years…
    But as a Mets fan, I absolutely love this guy. His personality I think more than anything has been what has been missing with this team for 3 or 4 years.
    For all the things that David Wright does well, being a club house leader is not one of them.
    And as a Mets fan, I have to say, Jason Heyward is on all three of my fantasy teams, and is easily my favorite non-Met in the league.

3. JE - May 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Honestly, Craig, I fail to understand the logic of throwing the home run ball back onto the field. Just because bleacher creatures in Wrigley were stupid enough to get rid of the souvenirs does not explain why fans in other cities have followed suit. And remember: these are the same nudniks who dive over two rows of seats just to nab one of those shmata t-shirts that are catapulted into the stands between innings….

4. Craig Calcaterra - May 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Not much logic to it, I’ll admit. But there’s not a ton of logic keeping the ball either. Unless it’s historic it’s not particularly valuable, and unless you suffer from dementia it’s not like you’ll forget the home run ball you caught.
    I’d probably keep it because, eh, why not, but there’s something funny to me about throwing it back onto the field. Very low-level funny, sure, but a chuckle is worth more to me than a Rod Barajas home run ball.

5. Dan W - May 1, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Craig – I think I have a problem with a reporter, who is supposed to be objective, actively rooting for the team and jeering the other team.
    Granted this is the sports world and its different, but what if CNN reporters actively jeered Republicans wearing Obama t-shirts on their way to a policital news story.
    Different worlds…yes. I still like to think that members of the print media still have some objectivity though. Beat writers always tend to be homers anway…but doesn’t this cross the line?
    As an aside – I was at the Clippers game last night and single dad sat behind me with three kids. I didn’t mind the kids so much…but if he told the kids the clippers scored another “point” one more time, I was going to lose it.

6. Craig Calcaterra - May 1, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I don’t think Deutsch is actually reporting on the games though. I think he’s just a general features dude or whatever. I’m sure it’s not exactly kosher as far as reporters’ ethics go, but I think it’s kind of harmless.
    Dan: you should have been at the Clippers game Thursday. I was there with my kids, and they kept calling runs “points” too. I think I’m starting to turn the corner with them, but it’s a struggle.

7. JE - May 1, 2010 at 2:53 PM

… as opposed to letting your young daughter keep the souvenir as a reminder of her being with dad at the ballgame?

8. Wooden U. Lykteneau - May 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Sounds like Old Gator’s sore about the “Gnats” stomping on his Feesh like a narc at a biker rally.

9. Old Gator - May 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I’m not gonna get down in the gutter and trade extenuated metaphors with you like a couple of color men with Tourettes Syndrome on a Trailer Park Network NASCAR sportscast.
    I peecked the Feesh to feenish ahead of the Gnats. I’m steecking with that. But now I theenk maybe Fat Freddy beats Omar Minaya and Charlie Manuel to become someone else’s special advisor to the minor league scouting department. Teek teek teek…

10. Old Gator - May 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Whoops, lookie there – the Feelies have really unloaded on Mike Pelfrey while Hallady slices through them like an industrial laser through warm butter…okay, okay, enough of this. Volstad pitches tonight against the Gnats so I don’t expect there’s been an across-the-board karmic reversal brewing tonight. But it does look like the Mutts’ eight game milk train derails in Feelie. They must have gone out for some horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches last night.

11. Route36West - May 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Followed by a 10-0 blowout shutout against the 2010 Cy Young Winner(atleast thats what the Mets fans are saying already) Mike Pelfrey.
    The Mets only have a 1/2 game lead because they played 1 more game. I dont count that as a lead. So if/when the Phillies win tonight I will say the Phillies 1/2 game lead over the Mets is really a tie too.

12. Route36West - May 2, 2010 at 7:30 PM

You only dislike cheese steaks because you dont get yours in Philly. The meat they use is actual full steaks sliced extremely thin not that crap meat you get everywhere else. And they use cheese whiz but you dont have to get that you can get any kind of cheese you want.
    Anyone who doesnt like steak and cheese on a sandwhich isnt American and should probably get back on there banana boat and float back to cuba with the rest of the Marlins fans.

13. Route36West - May 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM

“But with the Amazins’ building upon their NL East lead with an 9-1 blowout victory, Mets fans have bragging rights here for the first time in years. Our old rivalry once again has some juice to it. I wasn’t about to pass up the chance to do a little gloating.”
    The Great Gloatspy is right the Mets are Amazing at something choking. As soon as they got a division lead they choked and there best pitcher so far this year Pelfey lost 10-0 nothing to the Phillies and then the next night there ace Santana let up 10 runs in 4 innings to the Phils. They even choke on the littlest scales they had a 1-0 lead in the 3 game series and then got blown out the following 2 games.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2845)