May 2, 2010, 4:39 PM EDT
Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution notes that Braves shortstop Yunel Escobar is out of the starting lineup for a third straight game Sunday with a strained left abductor.
Veteran manager Bobby Cox has hinted at the idea of Escobar landing on the 15-day disabled list, but a that all depends on how well the infielder responds to treatment over the next two or three days. If he shows little progress and is still unavailable by the middle of next week, a short stint on the DL would probably be for the best.
Omar Infante is filling in for Escobar and managed three hits during Saturday’s game against the Astros. The Braves might also call up Triple-A infielder Brandon Hicks. Escobar, 27, is batting just .215 with a .295 on-base percentage through 22 games this year. He has zero home runs, two stolen bases and eight RBI.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)