May 2, 2010, 4:39 PM EDT
Dave O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution notes that Braves shortstop Yunel Escobar is out of the starting lineup for a third straight game Sunday with a strained left abductor.
Veteran manager Bobby Cox has hinted at the idea of Escobar landing on the 15-day disabled list, but a that all depends on how well the infielder responds to treatment over the next two or three days. If he shows little progress and is still unavailable by the middle of next week, a short stint on the DL would probably be for the best.
Omar Infante is filling in for Escobar and managed three hits during Saturday’s game against the Astros. The Braves might also call up Triple-A infielder Brandon Hicks. Escobar, 27, is batting just .215 with a .295 on-base percentage through 22 games this year. He has zero home runs, two stolen bases and eight RBI.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17