Gonzalez speaks out about AZ immigration law

May 2, 2010, 8:41 AM EST

gonzalez arguing.jpgWe’re better off leaving the politics of it alone, but the situation in Arizona involving new immigration crackdowns just took an odd turn.  According to Tom Krasovic of AOL Fanhouse, Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez has spoken out about the issue, and he’s none too pleased.  Here’s Krasovic:

[Gonzalez] told FanHouse that he will not attend next year’s All-Star Game in
Phoenix if the law is in effect, and that he’d like for major league
baseball to boycott spring training in Arizona. Gov. Jan Brewer signed
the bill into law on April 23.

Gonzalez, 27, was born and raised in the city he plays — San Diego — and is also of Mexican descent.  The new Arizona law contains wording and policies that may lead to discrimination against people just like him.  Major League Baseball, with its Latino-powered rosters, could potentially be a leader in getting some of the items on the bill changed or at least modified.  Just saying…

1. mike - May 3, 2010 at 5:33 AM

Adrian Gonzalez needs to shut up and stay out of Politics and laws of or land. He is so uninformed on this issue that he made himself and the Padres look stupid. I hope they trade him to the AZ d-backs, since he wants to talk about that state so much. And if he doesn’t like it he can go play ball in Mexico where he belongs. As a Padres season ticket holder I will not go to a baseball game or support any thing Padres until he is gone…………..I ask for a boycott on the Padres until they get rid of him………….

2. Ross - May 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM

“And if he doesn’t like it he can go play ball in Mexico where he belongs.”
    Um, you do realize Adrian Gonzalez was born in San Diego, and is, by the “laws of or land”, a US citizen who has every right to criticize the laws? In fact, it’s not just a right; it’s a *duty* of the American citizen to look at all laws, both state and federal, and make it clear that not everything is both fine and dandy. Yes, that even applies to states you don’t live in.
    Not all state laws migrate across the borders, but the big ones do. How long before New Mexico enacts a similar law? California? Texas would be close behind Arizona as well. If Arizona and California both have it, then Nevada will as well. I don’t usually subscribe to the Domino Theory, but when it comes to major state laws, it does apply.

3. Kang - May 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM

4. Mike - May 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Adrian was born in San Diego but lived the first 7 years of his life in TJ before moving to San Diego California. I’m not against Immigrants if they come to this country legally, I know poeple who were born in other country’s but have come here legally and are now US citizens. They in brace and love the USA and have learned to speck English. If they are here illegally then they are braking the law and should be deported. Ross I have lived in El Paso,Tucson,Phoenix,San Diego, and Los Angeles,illegal immigrants are ruining the quality of life in those cities. Border violence is out of control,I hope that there is a domino afect and the rest of our greats states follow in AZ footsteps. I don’t care what sports and entertainment stars and the left wing Liberal media says. I think stars should shutup, you don’t want to go to a concert and they stop playing and start preaching politics to us,same thing with a sporting event. Adrian thinks he is helping,but he is only hurting himself. Remember 70% of the poeple like this law and those poeple pay baseball player wages.

5. Joey B - May 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM

“Unless you’re native American, you’re an illegal alien on American soil…unless you think gaining a country via genocide, slavery, and broken treaties is morally acceptable. I’m not saying we turn back the clock, but let’s show a bit of compassion and empathy. The same arguments and xenophobia existed in the 1900’s…did the Irish, Italians, Jews and other Europeans that came over then destroy our nation? Nope.”
    Well, I think virtually every country was established like that. Someone took it from someone else, who had taken it from yet another.
    IRT to the rest, that really address legal immigration. Without legal immigration, we be hard-pressed to survive long-term, let alone thrive. The AZ iniative is really just a reaction to 30 years of inaction. I don’t like the law, but it is a lot easier to be critical when you don’t have to foot the bill.
    We need a 30-year approach to immigration. We need to know how many we need each year. We need to know which professions and which countries should be targetted. We need to know How many permanents we need and how many seasonal. We need to know how to keep out and weed out the illegals. It’s a business problem that too many people see only through their own party prisms.
    To be honest, the bigger problem that I see from these readings is the arrogance of those that can’t or won’t see both sides of the equation. We can absorb 10,000,000 immigrants in the blink of an eye. What we can’t survive is all these loudmouths that cannot formulate a political opinion without listening to their favorite RW and LW radio show.

6. Chuck - May 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM

You know – screw him and his “boycott.” With his multi-million dollar income, he probably doesn’t mind paying for all the services we extend to illigal alliens. I don’t make millions, and I do mind.

7. xao - May 3, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Chuck,
    Just curious, in the past year how much money have you spent paying for services extended to illegal aliens?

8. ed-dough - May 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM

The only defense people have for those who oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants is to call them a bigot or racist. Ok, let’s call a spade a shovel. Of the 12 million illegal immigrants, probably 95% are unskilled Mexican workers. They had to avoid border patrols and police to get here. They know they were breaking laws to get here. Even though it’s a tough existence, it certainly is better than Mexico or they would go back. The issue now is that the US economy cannot support 12 million illegal immigrants.

9. 69 Cuda - May 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Mike (post 79)is right. Illegal immigration is ruining the quality of lives of legal citizens in certain areas. Legal immigration built our country, but illegal immigration can destroy it. If you live in an area where there is a high concentration of illegals as I do, I guarantee your views would be more on the on anti-illegal side. Other than paying additional taxes, you have to be personally affected by the issue to truly understand the affects of illegal immigration.

10. gobolts - May 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I’ve been a Pad fan since they were in the PCL. Adrian is a great player but if he wants to come to this country, make millions of dollars, he needs to respect our laws. Sounds like he’s lacking in that area.

11. paul - May 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM

yes, you are correct when you say that people with darker skin will be “targeted”, but that is because the problem with the illegal immigration situation in Arizona is largely of hispanic decent. If the issue was with illegal immigrants from Greece, than you would not be saying anything at all.
    Although, rather than go back and forth about discrimination, perhaps you can offer a suggestion on how to ebb the flow of illegal immigration and solve our current problem. Both sides agree it is a problem, yet all your side does is complain about how unfair it is instead of trying to offer any constructive criticism.

12. your mom - May 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM

soooooo…. i have brown skin… i forget my ID and im out with friends. we get pulled over and i get hassled because im brown with no ID? and how is this ok?
    oh yeah, i was born here in the US too… so tell me you racists c*cksuckers… tell me how this is ok. i look suspicious because im brown?
    man, phuck all of you dick holes! if i ever get pulled over by a cop for stupid shyt like that then im gonna act a damb fool and make america pay ME big time when i take their asses to court. oh yeah, and if i ever got the chance to see that bytch, jan brewer, i would punch her in the face. too bad i wont get to see her. she deserves it.

13. Crotch Buffet - May 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM

america’s youth, ladies and germs.

14. Mike - May 4, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Yeah that “war of lies” in Iraq left chemical burns all over my dad and many other men and women who served there. Just because you and Ahmadinejad did not see chemical weapons on CNN does not mean they weren’t there. You also continue to preach about “faux news” but with each post you are just making it abundantly clear that you are equally entrenched with the rhetoric of the far left. Cudos for not meeting stooping to the levels of some of the people debating your points here, but in the same alot of your arguments are just as offensive and narrow minded (with regard to anyone who would take a position outside of yours) as theirs, you are just more elogant in how you say it.
    I think the bottom line of all of this is Arizona has a problem and decided to try to take steps to create a safe environment for their constituents. As its been stated if by others in this post, if you are here for day work or on a visa I dont see the issue carrying the paperwork with you. That is already a federal law. They clearly do not have the manpower to walk around and card everyone they see, but it’s the law and like it or not we have to live by that. I have tons of respect for people who come to the US to make a better life for themself the right way, but when you have people who come over and work illegally it not only allows people to exploit the cheap labor (which they dont pay taxes on) but also leads to increased expense for the local government/state as they still have to accomodate the number of people there with fewer people paying into the pot. This law may not be perfect, but few are. If you have a better solution as to how to handle the immigration issue I’d love to hear it. Based on prior post I think I already know what it will be though, and would have to say amnesty to a whole country probably will not work.

15. smitty - May 8, 2010 at 11:45 AM

The US Supreme Court has made it very clear since Terry vs. Ohio was decided in 1968 that neither race nor ethnicity constitute “reasonable suspicion” justifying an invasion of a person’s right to be free of unreasonable search or seizure. The Arizona law was clear in its original form, but now has been made clear enough for even readers of this forum to understand. The AZ law simply encompasses existing federal law, and failure to follow the law will cause a case to be tossed out of court in a hurry. If that failure is blatant enough, it will be the basis for a civil right case against the officer.

16. Joel - May 10, 2010 at 3:03 PM

The law does NOT allow pulling someone over because “they might be” illegal. The law only allows for a request of valid identification if they are detained for breaking a law, be it speeding, PI, etc. It does not, and it’s complete ignorance to say it does, allow the police to detain anyone with brown skin.

17. joel - May 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM

18. JAM - May 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Why are liberals the only ones allowed to speculate. The law isnt even in effect yet but suddenly racism has just been legalized. You sound like the crazy death panel crowd from the right on HCR. Read the god damn law just like you told the other side and STFU.

19. samus - May 14, 2010 at 4:58 AM

READ THE LAW PEOPLE
    I know not all are against it or for it, but if you are a illegal immigrant, you are ILLEGAL. U.S. law says so, but when one breaks the law and I.C.E. refuses to pick them up, AZ had do do something.
    I have used this before, but not sure if on here… I got rear ended by a Illegal, this person had no LEGAL documentation, driving a brand new truck the company he worked for provided him, he got arrested. I asked the Phoenix PD officer what my recourse was, he told me you could press charges and try to sue, but he will only spend one night in jail, as I.C.E. will refuse to pick him up, run across the border and cone back 6 months later with a different name… Is that justice in your mind… I was out $500 for repairs to my car and more because missed a week of work due to injury and missing work.
    I don’t mind if they go the legal way, as all of them should, I even work with one who is here LEGALLY, but still sends all his money back to mexico to his mom and lived off government assistance I.E. food stamps, cash assistance and AHCCCS things I cant get here because I am white, I work in a grocery store, and 90% of people on government assistance are not here legally, but yet I pay for it with my tax dollars, and they wonder why we are broke.
    In Arizona it is law you cant walk around without proper ID, if I did it, I would have to most likely spend a night in jail or until someone showed up with it, and STILL pay a fine.
    Proper ID is a FEDERAL LAW, which doesnt get enforced, now I dont like Jan Brewer, but at least someone finally had the gall to do something about it, im sure all MLB players have there stuff on them at all times, specially when most of them have to travel to canada and PROVIDE a passport to get into canada and back into the US.
    The crybabies make me sick, and tell your sob story to the border agent who was killed by 3 illegals, gunned down in cold blood!

20. samus - May 14, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Racism HAS NOT BEEN LEGALIZED
    If you dont have a drivers license, green card or work visa, then they start asking questions, stop listening to the the idiots who havent read the law.
    GET REAL
    If this was happening to you in your (state/states) hometown, would you complain?
    Home Invasions / Boarder agents getting killed / 25 to 50 illegals held at gunpoint in one house for the smugglers to get money from anyones elde here illegally
    we even has a home invasion where a family was killed because these illegals thought it was a drug house, dressed in mexican military gear, and tried to ambush PXPD in a alley, but ran our of bullets… this house was riddles with them almost 200 bullet holes in the house… mercelesly murdered. 4 confessed, 3 are still on the loose

21. The Crusader - May 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM

To Whom it May concern: Team VP of Player Personnel, Quote: “Instead
    of signing 4 AMERICAN guys at $25,000 each, you sign 20 DOMINICAN guys for $5,000 each!”
    And when they don’t make the team and are discharged they melt into the big cities with their own and remain as ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!
    NUFF SAID!