May 2, 2010, 6:55 PM EST
Unsurprisingly, the Royals made the decision Sunday to option former starting third baseman Alex Gordon to Triple-A Omaha.
Gordon spent the first two weeks of the 2010 season on the disabled list and hit just .194 with a .323 slugging percentage in 31 at-bats once he regained his health. All the while, Alberto Callaspo has jumped out to a hot start and has rightfully earned the Royals’ starting third base gig. Perhaps Gordon, 26, will find his stroke down in Triple-A and return to the big leagues as a useful utility player. Or maybe not. Big-time busts are far from a rarity in the baseball world.
Gordon, as some may remember, was the second overall pick in baseball’s first-year player draft back in 2005. Justin Upton was selected at No. 1 by the Diamondbacks.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)