May 2, 2010, 6:04 PM EDT
Zack Greinke threw his 10th career complete game Sunday against the Rays, but was handed his third loss of the season and now stands 0-3 on the year.
Greinke was spectacular as usual, fanning six batters and allowing just five base runners all day. But, yet again, he received zero run support and had his win-loss record tainted. The 2009 AL Cy Young Award winner is on pace for 214 strikeouts, just 45 walks, a 0.98 WHIP, 2.27 ERA, but also a record of 0-19. Baseball and the people who cover it have made a lot of progress in the last few years with understanding what makes a pitcher successful, but how many Cy Young votes would an 0-19 pitcher get even if all of his other stats were top-of-the-line? We might just find out. And ESPN’s Keith Law thinks he’d be left off half of all Cy ballots.
Greinke, 26, has has not registered a win in 10 career starts against the Rays. Then again, it’s probably time to throw the “win,” as a pitching stat, right out the window.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)