May 3, 2010, 7:49 PM EDT
Chris Dickerson underwent surgery to remove the broken hook on the hamate bone in his right hand and arthroscopic surgery to clean out his right wrist on Monday, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. He’s expected to miss four to six weeks.
It doesn’t figure to be a huge loss for the Reds anyway, since Dickerson was batting just .227/.244/.295 with a 19/1 K/BB ratio over his first 44 at-bats. Drew Stubbs hasn’t been anything worth writing home about either, but the former first-round pick will at least get a chance to start in center field on regular basis with Dickerson on the shelf for an extended period of time. Right on key, Stubbs led off Monday’s game against Oliver Perez and the Mets with a home run.
Outfielder Chris Heisey was recalled from Triple-A Louisville when Dickerson was placed on the disabled list last week, but he didn’t make his major league debut until tonight, as Dusty Baker gave Jay Bruce a night off. Heisey, 25, improved his stock dramatically last season by batting .314/.379/.521 with 22 homers and 77 RBI between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville. He was batting .241/.307/.430 with four homers and 13 RBI with Louisville to begin this season.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)