May 3, 2010, 7:49 PM EDT
Chris Dickerson underwent surgery to remove the broken hook on the hamate bone in his right hand and arthroscopic surgery to clean out his right wrist on Monday, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. He’s expected to miss four to six weeks.
It doesn’t figure to be a huge loss for the Reds anyway, since Dickerson was batting just .227/.244/.295 with a 19/1 K/BB ratio over his first 44 at-bats. Drew Stubbs hasn’t been anything worth writing home about either, but the former first-round pick will at least get a chance to start in center field on regular basis with Dickerson on the shelf for an extended period of time. Right on key, Stubbs led off Monday’s game against Oliver Perez and the Mets with a home run.
Outfielder Chris Heisey was recalled from Triple-A Louisville when Dickerson was placed on the disabled list last week, but he didn’t make his major league debut until tonight, as Dusty Baker gave Jay Bruce a night off. Heisey, 25, improved his stock dramatically last season by batting .314/.379/.521 with 22 homers and 77 RBI between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville. He was batting .241/.307/.430 with four homers and 13 RBI with Louisville to begin this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)