May 3, 2010, 7:49 PM EDT
Chris Dickerson underwent surgery to remove the broken hook on the hamate bone in his right hand and arthroscopic surgery to clean out his right wrist on Monday, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. He’s expected to miss four to six weeks.
It doesn’t figure to be a huge loss for the Reds anyway, since Dickerson was batting just .227/.244/.295 with a 19/1 K/BB ratio over his first 44 at-bats. Drew Stubbs hasn’t been anything worth writing home about either, but the former first-round pick will at least get a chance to start in center field on regular basis with Dickerson on the shelf for an extended period of time. Right on key, Stubbs led off Monday’s game against Oliver Perez and the Mets with a home run.
Outfielder Chris Heisey was recalled from Triple-A Louisville when Dickerson was placed on the disabled list last week, but he didn’t make his major league debut until tonight, as Dusty Baker gave Jay Bruce a night off. Heisey, 25, improved his stock dramatically last season by batting .314/.379/.521 with 22 homers and 77 RBI between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville. He was batting .241/.307/.430 with four homers and 13 RBI with Louisville to begin this season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 50
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)