May 3, 2010, 1:44 PM EDT
With the Astros in the midst of their second six-game losing streak of the young season, MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart has some details on just how horrendous Houston’s lineup has been so far.
Some of my favorite tidbits …
* Houston has scored 72 runs in 24 games, which is 13 fewer runs than the second-worst team, 42 fewer than the average team, and 75 fewer than MLB-leading Tampa Bay. In other words, the Rays have literally scored more than twice as many runs as the Astros.
* Not only does their .281 on-base percentage rank dead last in baseball, the Astros are the only team getting on base below a .300 clip.
* They also rank dead last in OPS. In fact, there are 317 active hitters with at least 1,000 career plate appearances and the Astros’ putrid .605 OPS is lower than all of them except for John McDonald (.593) and Juan Castro (.602).
* Houston is also dead last in walks with 42, which is 24 fewer than the second-worst team and just 21 more than Nick Johnson, Chone Figgins, Justin Morneau, David Wright, and Daric Barton have drawn individually. In other words, choose any two of those guys and they’ve draw exactly the same number of walks as the Astros’ entire team.
* Houston has nine homers in 784 at-bats. Paul Konerko has 12 homers in 81 at-bats.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)