May 3, 2010, 1:44 PM EST
With the Astros in the midst of their second six-game losing streak of the young season, MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart has some details on just how horrendous Houston’s lineup has been so far.
Some of my favorite tidbits …
* Houston has scored 72 runs in 24 games, which is 13 fewer runs than the second-worst team, 42 fewer than the average team, and 75 fewer than MLB-leading Tampa Bay. In other words, the Rays have literally scored more than twice as many runs as the Astros.
* Not only does their .281 on-base percentage rank dead last in baseball, the Astros are the only team getting on base below a .300 clip.
* They also rank dead last in OPS. In fact, there are 317 active hitters with at least 1,000 career plate appearances and the Astros’ putrid .605 OPS is lower than all of them except for John McDonald (.593) and Juan Castro (.602).
* Houston is also dead last in walks with 42, which is 24 fewer than the second-worst team and just 21 more than Nick Johnson, Chone Figgins, Justin Morneau, David Wright, and Daric Barton have drawn individually. In other words, choose any two of those guys and they’ve draw exactly the same number of walks as the Astros’ entire team.
* Houston has nine homers in 784 at-bats. Paul Konerko has 12 homers in 81 at-bats.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)