May 3, 2010, 11:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Posada is listed as day-to-day after an MRI revealed a mild calf strain, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com. He’ll likely be out of the lineup until at least Friday, prompting the Bombers to make a roster move. Look for veteran backstop Chad Moeller to get the call from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
9:03 PM: Jorge Posada exited Monday’s game against the Orioles after the fifth inning due to tightness in his right calf, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News. He’s scheduled to undergo an MRI tonight.
Posada, who turns 39 in August, is batting .290/.364/.580 with five homers and 12 RBI over his first 69 at-bats this season. He missed three starts last week due to a right knee contusion.
Francisco Cervelli replaced Posada to begin the sixth inning and will continue to fill in should the veteran backstop have to miss any significant amount of time. Cervelli, 24, is batting .346/.433/.385 with six RBI in 26 at-bats for the Bombers this season.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)