May 3, 2010, 6:08 PM EDT
Even though he complained of shoulder tightness following his outing in a loss to the Phillies on Saturday and had an MRI on Monday, Mike Pelfrey remains scheduled to make his start Friday versus the Giants.
SI.com’s Jon Heyman didn’t have any results from the MRI, but we imagine Mets doctors found nothing remarkable. Then again, we doubt Mets doctors would notice anything out of the ordinary here either.
Pelfrey was stellar in four starts this season before giving up six runs and his first homer of the year in four innings Saturday. He didn’t rack up big pitch counts in any of his outings, but it is worth noting that he pitched in relief in the 20-inning game April 17 against the Cardinals. That appearance came two days after he threw 109 pitches and three days before he threw 102 more.
Since the Mets have Thursday off, they have the option of pushing back Pelfrey to next Tuesday without having to go to an extra starter in the meantime. That they wouldn’t even go that route to help protect one of the franchise’s most important players is surprising.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)