May 3, 2010, 6:08 PM EST
Even though he complained of shoulder tightness following his outing in a loss to the Phillies on Saturday and had an MRI on Monday, Mike Pelfrey remains scheduled to make his start Friday versus the Giants.
SI.com’s Jon Heyman didn’t have any results from the MRI, but we imagine Mets doctors found nothing remarkable. Then again, we doubt Mets doctors would notice anything out of the ordinary here either.
Pelfrey was stellar in four starts this season before giving up six runs and his first homer of the year in four innings Saturday. He didn’t rack up big pitch counts in any of his outings, but it is worth noting that he pitched in relief in the 20-inning game April 17 against the Cardinals. That appearance came two days after he threw 109 pitches and three days before he threw 102 more.
Since the Mets have Thursday off, they have the option of pushing back Pelfrey to next Tuesday without having to go to an extra starter in the meantime. That they wouldn’t even go that route to help protect one of the franchise’s most important players is surprising.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)