May 3, 2010, 6:08 PM EDT
Even though he complained of shoulder tightness following his outing in a loss to the Phillies on Saturday and had an MRI on Monday, Mike Pelfrey remains scheduled to make his start Friday versus the Giants.
SI.com’s Jon Heyman didn’t have any results from the MRI, but we imagine Mets doctors found nothing remarkable. Then again, we doubt Mets doctors would notice anything out of the ordinary here either.
Pelfrey was stellar in four starts this season before giving up six runs and his first homer of the year in four innings Saturday. He didn’t rack up big pitch counts in any of his outings, but it is worth noting that he pitched in relief in the 20-inning game April 17 against the Cardinals. That appearance came two days after he threw 109 pitches and three days before he threw 102 more.
Since the Mets have Thursday off, they have the option of pushing back Pelfrey to next Tuesday without having to go to an extra starter in the meantime. That they wouldn’t even go that route to help protect one of the franchise’s most important players is surprising.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)