May 3, 2010, 6:08 PM EDT
Even though he complained of shoulder tightness following his outing in a loss to the Phillies on Saturday and had an MRI on Monday, Mike Pelfrey remains scheduled to make his start Friday versus the Giants.
SI.com’s Jon Heyman didn’t have any results from the MRI, but we imagine Mets doctors found nothing remarkable. Then again, we doubt Mets doctors would notice anything out of the ordinary here either.
Pelfrey was stellar in four starts this season before giving up six runs and his first homer of the year in four innings Saturday. He didn’t rack up big pitch counts in any of his outings, but it is worth noting that he pitched in relief in the 20-inning game April 17 against the Cardinals. That appearance came two days after he threw 109 pitches and three days before he threw 102 more.
Since the Mets have Thursday off, they have the option of pushing back Pelfrey to next Tuesday without having to go to an extra starter in the meantime. That they wouldn’t even go that route to help protect one of the franchise’s most important players is surprising.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)