May 3, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
Dave Brown at Big League Stew watched Zack Greinke’s dominant yet losing performance and thinks that it’s high time we just get rid of wins for pitchers altogether:
Does a point guard get a “W” in basketball? Hockey goalies may get
wins and losses, but does anyone pay as much attention to those
statistics as they do in baseball?
Quarterbacks have W-L records, I guess, but it’s paid such little mind.
What was Johnny Unitas’ record? Joe Montana’s? Peyton Manning’s? Nobody
has much of a clue without
looking it up.
As individualistic as baseball can be, it’s still a
team sport. Just because some people believe the game to be “75 percent
pitching” doesn’t make it so. It’s never been like that. Not even in
the 19th century, when guys like Old Hoss Radbourn were throwing 600-plus innings in a season, like they were
larger-than-life biblical characters who, it was said, lived for 10
Brown is actually rooting for Greinke to keep dominating, but keep losing, so that people will finally start to understand that wins are rather arbitrary and largely dependent upon one’s teammates. Sometimes, as in Greinke’s case, teammates who suck.
I don’t know that I’d go that far, but anything that takes the wind out of people’s “Pitcher X just knows how to win” hogwash would be a good thing.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)