May 3, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
Not only did Alex Gordon lose his spot on Kansas City’s roster after just 12 games, but it appears that he’s lost his position as well. The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton reports that Gordon will play left field and first base for Triple-A Omaha.
We imagine that most of his time will come in left for now. Billy Butler may yet be a long-term DH for the Royals, but he isn’t budging of first base this year. Plus, the Omaha Royals already have a premier first baseman in Kila Ka’aihue.
Left field, on the other hand, is manned by Scott Podsednik in Kansas City, and while the speedy veteran is off to an excellent start, he’s hardly a part of the Royals’ long-term plans and it’d be no surprise to see him moved for a prospect in June or July.
Of course, Gordon may no longer be in Kansas City’s plans, either. By moving him off third base, the Royals are making it clear that they much prefer their infield with Alberto Callaspo at third. Also, it’s an acknowledgment that 2007 first-round pick Mike Moustakas is the new long-term hope at third.
Moustakas, who was drafted as a shortstop before moving to the hot corner, has had a disappointing pro career overall, but he’s still just 21 and, after missing a couple of weeks with a strained oblique, he’s off to a terrific .395/.471/.860 start in 11 games in Double-A this year.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)