May 3, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
Not only did Alex Gordon lose his spot on Kansas City’s roster after just 12 games, but it appears that he’s lost his position as well. The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton reports that Gordon will play left field and first base for Triple-A Omaha.
We imagine that most of his time will come in left for now. Billy Butler may yet be a long-term DH for the Royals, but he isn’t budging of first base this year. Plus, the Omaha Royals already have a premier first baseman in Kila Ka’aihue.
Left field, on the other hand, is manned by Scott Podsednik in Kansas City, and while the speedy veteran is off to an excellent start, he’s hardly a part of the Royals’ long-term plans and it’d be no surprise to see him moved for a prospect in June or July.
Of course, Gordon may no longer be in Kansas City’s plans, either. By moving him off third base, the Royals are making it clear that they much prefer their infield with Alberto Callaspo at third. Also, it’s an acknowledgment that 2007 first-round pick Mike Moustakas is the new long-term hope at third.
Moustakas, who was drafted as a shortstop before moving to the hot corner, has had a disappointing pro career overall, but he’s still just 21 and, after missing a couple of weeks with a strained oblique, he’s off to a terrific .395/.471/.860 start in 11 games in Double-A this year.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 30
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)