May 3, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
Not only did Alex Gordon lose his spot on Kansas City’s roster after just 12 games, but it appears that he’s lost his position as well. The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton reports that Gordon will play left field and first base for Triple-A Omaha.
We imagine that most of his time will come in left for now. Billy Butler may yet be a long-term DH for the Royals, but he isn’t budging of first base this year. Plus, the Omaha Royals already have a premier first baseman in Kila Ka’aihue.
Left field, on the other hand, is manned by Scott Podsednik in Kansas City, and while the speedy veteran is off to an excellent start, he’s hardly a part of the Royals’ long-term plans and it’d be no surprise to see him moved for a prospect in June or July.
Of course, Gordon may no longer be in Kansas City’s plans, either. By moving him off third base, the Royals are making it clear that they much prefer their infield with Alberto Callaspo at third. Also, it’s an acknowledgment that 2007 first-round pick Mike Moustakas is the new long-term hope at third.
Moustakas, who was drafted as a shortstop before moving to the hot corner, has had a disappointing pro career overall, but he’s still just 21 and, after missing a couple of weeks with a strained oblique, he’s off to a terrific .395/.471/.860 start in 11 games in Double-A this year.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)