May 3, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
Not only did Alex Gordon lose his spot on Kansas City’s roster after just 12 games, but it appears that he’s lost his position as well. The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton reports that Gordon will play left field and first base for Triple-A Omaha.
We imagine that most of his time will come in left for now. Billy Butler may yet be a long-term DH for the Royals, but he isn’t budging of first base this year. Plus, the Omaha Royals already have a premier first baseman in Kila Ka’aihue.
Left field, on the other hand, is manned by Scott Podsednik in Kansas City, and while the speedy veteran is off to an excellent start, he’s hardly a part of the Royals’ long-term plans and it’d be no surprise to see him moved for a prospect in June or July.
Of course, Gordon may no longer be in Kansas City’s plans, either. By moving him off third base, the Royals are making it clear that they much prefer their infield with Alberto Callaspo at third. Also, it’s an acknowledgment that 2007 first-round pick Mike Moustakas is the new long-term hope at third.
Moustakas, who was drafted as a shortstop before moving to the hot corner, has had a disappointing pro career overall, but he’s still just 21 and, after missing a couple of weeks with a strained oblique, he’s off to a terrific .395/.471/.860 start in 11 games in Double-A this year.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 32
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)