May 3, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
Well, maybe he’s human. An alternative explanation is that, a day after learning that he was being promoted to AAA, he decided to mail one in the same way you mailed in that last Communications 220 exam after you already earned enough credits to graduate and had already been accepted to law school.
Strasburg gave up three earned runs — four total — on six
hits and three walks over 4.2 innings yesterday. The bad guys: the Altoona Curve, who he so deftly handled in his minor league debut last month. Strasburg wasn’t hit particularly hard, with a couple of the runs following infield hits and bloop single kinds of things, but he struggled with the strike zone, which this game story suggests may have been a bit tight thanks to the home plate umpire.
But tough stuff. He’s going to get squeezed like crazy when he makes the bigs because, right or wrong, major league umpires make young pitchers earn the full extent of the strike zone through experience. Wait, that’s totally wrong and everyone knows it. Still happens though.
All of this makes Strasburg’s AAA debut more interesting, of course. Because now he must not only show that he can get more experienced hitters out, but he must show that he can shake off a bad day.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)