May 3, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
Well, maybe he’s human. An alternative explanation is that, a day after learning that he was being promoted to AAA, he decided to mail one in the same way you mailed in that last Communications 220 exam after you already earned enough credits to graduate and had already been accepted to law school.
Strasburg gave up three earned runs — four total — on six
hits and three walks over 4.2 innings yesterday. The bad guys: the Altoona Curve, who he so deftly handled in his minor league debut last month. Strasburg wasn’t hit particularly hard, with a couple of the runs following infield hits and bloop single kinds of things, but he struggled with the strike zone, which this game story suggests may have been a bit tight thanks to the home plate umpire.
But tough stuff. He’s going to get squeezed like crazy when he makes the bigs because, right or wrong, major league umpires make young pitchers earn the full extent of the strike zone through experience. Wait, that’s totally wrong and everyone knows it. Still happens though.
All of this makes Strasburg’s AAA debut more interesting, of course. Because now he must not only show that he can get more experienced hitters out, but he must show that he can shake off a bad day.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 329
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 66
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 43
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (328)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)