The Indians have created a fan cave

May 3, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT

I’m moderately hostile to luxury suites in ballparks, but Sports Business Journal reports that the Indians are improving the concept somewhat:

The Cleveland Indians have redeveloped
a vacant suite at Progressive Field into a “fan cave” with a pool table
as its centerpiece . . . The space has six high-definition
televisions, along with a Nintendo Wii
and old-school arcade games such as Pac-
Man, Donkey Kong and Galaga.

The best part: the suite’s bathroom is stocked with toilet paper featuring the opposing team’s logo for that day’s game.  Well, the Galaga is the best part, but the T.P. comes in a close second. The whole deal goes for $3000 a game and that includes the usual suitey things such as food and beer.

I can see enjoying a party in a place like that. Pretty economical too if you get enough beer drinking buddies to come along. And if the Galaga doesn’t actually require quarters.

1. Joey B - May 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

“I’m moderately hostile to luxury suites in ballparks,”
    Why? They usually aren’t great viewing, but even the low-level suites and suits will supply you with some victuals and beer, and a bathroom all your own. It’s kind of like First Class on an airline. Ridiculously overpriced, but if someone else is footing the bill, then I can live with it.

2. YankeesfanLen - May 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM

When you’re covering the game in the Bloggers’ Press Pass thingy, sneak down and see if it’s been sold for the game. Then drop a dime on the security guy with the key and you have it made!
    Captcha: uses menially- see-what I just said!

3. Jonny5 - May 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Well if the team was the “Cleveland Bats” This would be too cool. BTW this reminds me of what I saw on my way home last Friday. It must have been a Reliant K convertable With 4-5′ wide bat wings sticking out of it and other crazy contraptions to make it resemble, yet demean the original batmobile. It’s as if the “artist” said, “This is what I think of your steenking batmobile!” It was slightly more entertaining than the day last month when I pulled up next to the Oscar Meyer Weenie truck at a red light on Rt 73.

4. Jamie - May 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I’m not sure why you’d want to play pool or Galaga during a baseball game you’ve (presumably) payed good money to watch. It’s kind of like bringing a book.

5. Haywood Jablome - May 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Why play pool and games instead of watching the game? Please remember, we are talking about the Tribe here. You need to get some type of entertainment while drinking beer and eating ballpark grub.

6. Jason @ IIATMS - May 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM

A perfect place to bring the strippers… the Galaga is for them, while the game is going on… then between innings: SHOWTIME!
    Captcha: damage Howard (see also: Overblown Panic, Johan)

All the trade deadline news to know